Sign in to follow this  

Clutch doesn't fully engage...causing dragging!

Hi Guys,

Been workin on gettin my bike ready for spring. The bike has been sitting for a couple months now. After checking the valve clearances the other day, I put the bike in gear and pulled in the clutch and it wouldnt roll at all.

Today I thought the clutch plates were possibly just stuck together since they have been sitting so long, so I opened up the clutch and split all the plates to make sure they were not sticking and tried pushing the bike again.

It moves a bit now, but is REALLY hard to push...tonns of drag. I haven't started it up cause im in the middle of a shim job but I'm not sure waht is going on with the clutch.

I adjusted everything perfectly and the I don't have that many hours on the bike. Last time I rode it in Setpember everything was great. Any ideas?

I do think I possibly had a tiny bit of drag last summer come to think about it, but not enough to really effect it or stall out the bike or anything. It definately would stall now though if I were to start it an shift into gear.

Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

Been workin on gettin my bike ready for spring. The bike has been sitting for a couple months now. After checking the valve clearances the other day, I put the bike in gear and pulled in the clutch and it wouldnt roll at all.

Today I thought the clutch plates were possibly just stuck together since they have been sitting so long, so I opened up the clutch and split all the plates to make sure they were not sticking and tried pushing the bike again.

It moves a bit now, but is REALLY hard to push...tonns of drag. I haven't started it up cause im in the middle of a shim job but I'm not sure waht is going on with the clutch.

I adjusted everything perfectly and the I don't have that many hours on the bike. Last time I rode it in Setpember everything was great. Any ideas?

I do think I possibly had a tiny bit of drag last summer come to think about it, but not enough to really effect it or stall out the bike or anything. It definately would stall now though if I were to start it an shift into gear.

Suggestions?

Sounds pretty normal to me, for a used, cold clutch. When it warms up it will drag less.

Mine Does the same thing if it has been sitting. Start it up and take it for a ride down the street. That should lossen everything up and let roll it. I took everything apart the first time it did it to me just to find out nothing was wrong to begin with.

looks like u guys were right :)

I started it up rolled it a bit then dropped it into gear and its workig A. OK.

I dont ever remember this happening (to this extent) with my other bikes. Oh well thanks for the help guys :banghead: