Sign in to follow this  

Oil question

Ok I know that this has been discussed 100 times, I just got a 06 yz250f and I want to know about the type of oil to run and how often to change it. I do not race at all, I just trail ride and I dont get near the rev limiter. I have been using motul 5100 10 -40 and its expensive, I know some are using rotella oil. would it be better for me to use a good synthetic or rotella oil for the type of riding I'm doing. How often should I change oil for the type of riding that I'm doing? any help would be great thanks

I use rotella changed every 5 hours and filter every second oil change. Honestly I feel having an oil related failure is going to be pretty rare with these bikes as long as you change it regularly and use the correct viscosity.

what type of rotella do you use the synthetic or non synthetic

I just run the Non-synthetic Haven't had any problems what so ever. I've run synthetic in my old bike and never really noticed a difference. There's a lot of debate between synthetic and non-synthetic in all motors. For instance I know for a long time Toyota swore by non-synthetic oils. They suggested non-synthetic oils in all of there cars including Lexus.

I use rotella changed every 5 hours and filter every second oil change. Honestly I feel having an oil related failure is going to be pretty rare with these bikes as long as you change it regularly and use the correct viscosity.

I have also run Rotella both synthetic and non-synthetic in both of my bikes.

I like the full synthetic 5w-40 because when I am riding for a full weekend and don't get to change my oil for 6-7 hours (usually every 4-5 hrs) it still comes out looking like new.

So I changed my oil today after about 4 hours of riding, It came out still gold color, should I wait longer to change my oil or not?

It came out still gold color

That is exactly what I am looking for.

Frequent oil changes are cheaper then new valves. Keep changing your oil.

Does ANYONE use the Yamalube 10w-40???

People use Yamalube from the dealer's recommendation until they get on here and learn that there are better oil out there to use, so they switch...

There is nothing wrong with Yamalube if you change your oil often (just like most decent oil, you must change them often), but it is not the best you can use for our bikes and it's more expensive too.

well that cut's it I'm changin over to Rotella also.

My brother changed over last year and he is perfectly happy with it.

Im thinking of Using the rotella T 15-40 non synthetic, is this a good choice or should I run something else? and what weight of rotella t synthetic are people using ?

Thats the same stuff I run in my 08' YZ250F. A lot of people on here like it and run it. Just change it every 5 hours and it really doesn't matter what you run as long as it doesn't effect the clutch.