Sign in to follow this  

02 520 EXC No Spark

New offroad rider here, long time on road rider. I bought this bike a few months back from my Tucker-Rocky rep. Ran great, I replaced some plastic to make it look new again, changed the oil, adjusted the valves and was anxious to go riding... Unfortunately, my house was flooded right after and I've never had a chance to really go riding.....

Anyway, finally we get the bikes out, anticipating warm weather, and the KTM wouldn't start, no spark at all. The manual seems vague at best, but I'm not getting any voltage at the pulse generator connector, cdi connector or at the coil when I turn the engine over. The manual also says I should be getting 100 ohms resistance between the red and green wires coming from the pulse generator, I get no resistance at all. I didn't think of it at the time, and the manual didn't say, but should I have rotated the motor when checking the resistance? This thing is irritating me because it was running fine, no starting problems what so ever, I've gone through every connector, bypassed the kill switch, tested the kill switch, checked fuses and everything I can think of. It is feasible that the pulse generator just suddenly went out? The bike has good compression and everything seems fine..... Any clues?

Thanks

If you get no resistance through the pulse generator, I say that is the problem.

If you get no resistance through the pulse generator, I say that is the problem.

That's what I was thinking, but I was hoping someone could confirm the diagnosis before I started throwing parts at it....

Lay the bike on its right side.

Should loose very little oil.

Duh, didn't think of that.... I'm used to working on street bikes, LOL..

Based on the lack of any other ideas, I'm going to go ahead and try the pulse generator...

Better check the stator too. They have been known to develop separations in the windings which will cause the no-start issue.

I have a similar problem w/ an '04 525EXC w/ low mileage. I went out this weekend and rode about 15 minutes and then the bike went dead. No spark at all. I disengaged the kill switch and replaced the coil and black electronic ignition box from my buddies '04. Still no spark. What is the pulse generator and where is it located? Do I need special tools to remove? If I take off the side cover, is there oil inside? Any chance my problem is caused by overfilling the oil. I topped it off before my trip and just noticed that the level is above the sight glass. Thanks to anyone that can help....