Sign in to follow this  

Alton New Hampshire trail riding area

Hello, Finding places to ride is getting tougher all the time so please check out a newly added privately owned and legal trail riding area added in the NH W2R section.

This is a maintained trail system that offers 28 miles of trails which will be open as mud season ends in mid May. We should have 10 more miles added by the end of this season. New Durham Valley ATV club has built and maintained trails up here for years. We have had years of great relations with the land owners and the local comunity. We have been succesful with organising fundraisers for many local charities.

Primarily an ATV club, we have always welcomed the dirt bikers, trail riders etc to ride here, but we found that we wernt getting the word out very well about that. Side x Side UTV's are also welcome. There are some gates up so some of the wider UTV's may be limited , but the RZR drivers have ridden every inch of trail we have. This is a heavily forested and rocky area of NH so plenty of boulders and logs to satisfy the Observerd Trials crowd looking for a legal place to practice their skills.

These trails offer terrain for beginners up to some that take some moderate skills and nerve. The Devils Den trail didnt get its name by being easy!!! But we have miles and miles of family friendly trails. So a great place to break in a new rider of any age.

These trails offer lots of scenery to. Lots of places to stop and enjoy the fresh NH mountain air. We have 2 mountain trails. Calvary mountain trail is rideable by almost anybody. It is rough in places. Most of this trail is cut from mountain snow run off, so picture a dry river bed and that is what the roughest areas are about. Calvary trail takes its time winding up the mountain, so no steep sections. Its sounds intimidating but most first timers make it no problem. And the veiws up top are worth every rock you hit on the way up. Calvary has great veiws of the surrounding mountains and looks directly over Alton Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee. Devils Den actually got its name from a cave on the other side of the mountain. Its shorter than Calvary, but this trail is rockier and has a few steep rocky slabs to climb near the top. And there is a shear cliff on the opposite side that overlooks Merrymeeting Lake.

So keep our riding area in mind. Our website and email is listed on the W2R NH section. There is no entrance fee. We just ask you to concider joining our club. The fee's are also listed and there very economical. And those fee's dont go in pockets. Its used to purchase equipment and fuel, plus costs of maintaining the tractors and chainsaws etc. We also use that money to supply the food for our charity ride events. Many people get far more food fed to them that more than pays for the cost of the club membership.

:)

A couple of pics from a few of our charity events.

NDVATVclubfooddrive001Medium.jpg

anotherhappywinnerMedium.jpg

NDVATVclubfooddrive003Medium.jpg

anotherofjoeinmudMedium.jpg

On top of Calvary overlooking Alton Bay

NewDurhamTrailsJuly07009Medium.jpg

Jack doing what he loves best, trail maintenance!!!

NewDurhamTrailsJuly07002Medium.jpg

June 08 @ 25 club members and friends were on hand to build new 50' steel frame bridge over a 15' deep ravine on a brand new trail to open sometime in 09.

TR031Medium.jpg

Hello, Finding places to ride is getting tougher all the time so please check out a newly added privately owned and legal trail riding area added in the NH W2R section.

This is a maintained trail system that offers 28 miles of trails which will be open as mud season ends in mid May. We should have 10 more miles added by the end of this season. New Durham Valley ATV club has built and maintained trails up here for years. We have had years of great relations with the land owners and the local comunity. We have been succesful with organising fundraisers for many local charities.

Primarily an ATV club, we have always welcomed the dirt bikers, trail riders etc to ride here, but we found that we wernt getting the word out very well about that. Side x Side UTV's are also welcome. There are some gates up so some of the wider UTV's may be limited , but the RZR drivers have ridden every inch of trail we have. This is a heavily forested and rocky area of NH so plenty of boulders and logs to satisfy the Observerd Trials crowd looking for a legal place to practice their skills.

These trails offer terrain for beginners up to some that take some moderate skills and nerve. The Devils Den trail didnt get its name by being easy!!! But we have miles and miles of family friendly trails. So a great place to break in a new rider of any age.

These trails offer lots of scenery to. Lots of places to stop and enjoy the fresh NH mountain air. We have 2 mountain trails. Calvary mountain trail is rideable by almost anybody. It is rough in places. Most of this trail is cut from mountain snow run off, so picture a dry river bed and that is what the roughest areas are about. Calvary trail takes its time winding up the mountain, so no steep sections. Its sounds intimidating but most first timers make it no problem. And the veiws up top are worth every rock you hit on the way up. Calvary has great veiws of the surrounding mountains and looks directly over Alton Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee. Devils Den actually got its name from a cave on the other side of the mountain. Its shorter than Calvary, but this trail is rockier and has a few steep rocky slabs to climb near the top. And there is a shear cliff on the opposite side that overlooks Merrymeeting Lake.

So keep our riding area in mind. Our website and email is listed on the W2R NH section. There is no entrance fee. We just ask you to concider joining our club. The fee's are also listed and there very economical. And those fee's dont go in pockets. Its used to purchase equipment and fuel, plus costs of maintaining the tractors and chainsaws etc. We also use that money to supply the food for our charity ride events. Many people get far more food fed to them that more than pays for the cost of the club membership.

:doh:

Whatwasithinkin, Your trail system sounds like a very nice piece of work. I am a Mass. resident and I am planning to take a weekend to visit the beautiful woods of NH to do some riding. However I don't have the slightest idea about how to register my bike and what the requirements (spark arrestor?) are. Could you be a pal and clue me in on what I need to be prepared for a ride?

chris

Do street legel dirt bikes need to register with NH as an ATV? Also, are the trails directional or is it sort of a free for all? I'd love to come up and ride there and meet your group but not at the risk of meeting a Rhino head to head. Thanks!!

Whatwasithinkin, Your trail system sounds like a very nice piece of work. I am a Mass. resident and I am planning to take a weekend to visit the beautiful woods of NH to do some riding. However I don't have the slightest idea about how to register my bike and what the requirements (spark arrestor?) are. Could you be a pal and clue me in on what I need to be prepared for a ride?

chris

Registering in NH is simple. Almost any motorcycle/atv shop can register OHRV. Usualy all they require is some form of proof of ownership, or the Mass registration and a drivers licence. There are a couple of places open on sundays as well that sell OHRV stickers.

Working mufflers are required. Essentually no hollowed out or gutted mufflers, straight pipes etc. We do get many riders with aftermarket pipes and so far this hasnt been an issue. But just a heads up, even though we are on private property, we are still part of the state trail system and do get regularly patrolled by both NH F&G and the Alton PD.

Do street legel dirt bikes need to register with NH as an ATV? Also, are the trails directional or is it sort of a free for all? I'd love to come up and ride there and meet your group but not at the risk of meeting a Rhino head to head. Thanks!!

In NH if you ride off road on a street legal bike, then yes you do have to purchase and display an OHRV sticker on the bike.

Most of our trail system is 2 way traffic. Most of the main connectors are concidered class VI roads by the town, but we do give them some maintenance. This area is in the mountains so we do get spring washouts that need fixed etc. We do get an occasional SxS UTE here. Most of them are to wide to fit threw the gates so it keeps there use limited. RzR's are the only SxS narrow enough to be able to access most of our trails. But we only get the ocassional 1 or 2 of them. The class VI roads are open to vehicle traffic when the main gates are opened by the trailmasters. We do get lots of hikers, bicyclists etc to. Max speed limit is 25mph for all .

Once you get off onto the woods or mountain trails its mostly just ATV and dirtbike traffic. There is only 1, 1way trail at the moment. There is a 2 way trail up to the top of Calvary Mt and a 1way only to come back down. For ATV trail standards its narrow, tight and twisty with some off chamber stuff. But probably easy on a DB.

I dont want to discourage you from riding here. So far its been my experience that for the most part the 2 way traffic has been a non issue for most. We highly recomend that all riders use their head, stay right on blind corners and keep the speeds down. In my memory when Ive seen or known of problems to happen, its been from DB, MX, and sportquad riders racing or far exceeding the speed limits and coming up on or at slower vehicles at far to high of speed. Or riding as if their the only ones in the place. This is not an MX park. We dont want riders that come here to ride fast and crazy. We are a family riding area and get lots of novice riders, kids etc where you wont see speeds more than 5-10 mph. Riders that show disreguard towards others or creating dangerous situations for other riders will get escourted off the property as we see fit.

If 1 way trails are more your liking, there is always Ev-Hop aka Clough State park. They offer 1 way trails for both ATV only and DB only riding.

Registering in NH is simple. Almost any motorcycle/atv shop can register OHRV. Usualy all they require is some form of proof of ownership, or the Mass registration and a drivers licence. There are a couple of places open on sundays as well that sell OHRV stickers.

Working mufflers are required. Essentually no hollowed out or gutted mufflers, straight pipes etc. We do get many riders with aftermarket pipes and so far this hasnt been an issue. But just a heads up, even though we are on private property, we are still part of the state trail system and do get regularly patrolled by both NH F&G and the Alton PD.

Great! thanks for the info its just what I need. I'm going to be heading up there sometime next month are there any events or gathering planned in June?

Now that the trails are open I will just address a couple items, but please if you have any questions feel free to ask.

We want everyone to have a nice time while riding here but we do have a couple rules in place as this is private property and we are just guests on it.

At this moment there is a logging operation going on at a few parts of the property. Please stay away from any of the equipment and do not ride off trail in these areas. Some trails may be marked off limits for riding as logging trucks use the trails for access. These trails will be clearly marked. Trails will reopen as soon as logging has ended. And we have been given permission to create more trails as soon as the operations are done. So good news there.

We have been allowed to bring in and use propane cook stoves or propane grills as we want. No charcoal grills allowed. Never create a wood fire ever on this property. Its woods and it gets very dry in the summer.

There are no facilities on the property so plan ahead. There is no direct access to stores/fuel/food from the area. Plenty of stores along rt 11 and 28 or up near the lake.

Pick up and haul out any trash you create.

No overnight parking or camping allowed. Trails are concidered closed from dusk till dawn. The only acceptions to this are when we get special dispensation from the landowners to camp and have a night ride a couple times during the season. Those special weekends are posted at our website and forum. Generally its done when we have special charity fund raisers.

NH Off Road registrations are required to ride here. A few times each season we get permits put into place with the state that allows use to ride without registrations on Saturday and Sunday for our special charity ride event weekends. These dates can be confirmed on our website and forum.

Both NH F&G and Alton PD regularly patrol these trails at random.

There is a 25 mph speed limit on the trails.

All above are mainly commonsence, so please for everones enjoyment and concideration, use your head while riding here. As already said and worth repeating again, we are all guests here on this privately owned property and can lose that privalage at a moments notice.

Great! thanks for the info its just what I need. I'm going to be heading up there sometime next month are there any events or gathering planned in June?

Most of our special events are in the fall.

But on June 14 we are holding the annual NHOHVA meeting. This is open to any member of NHOHVA to attend. To be a member of NHOHVA all you have to do is join a club that is part of NHOHVA and you get an automatic membership. New Durham Valley ATV is a NHOHVA club.

This is mainly an informal buisness meeting/group ride/cookout where we get to hear from those involved in the clubs at both the local and state level. So we get to hear whats going on behind the scenes, both good and bad news. Get information on law changes in the works and talk shop with all involved.

This is more politics in nature, but we have a realy good BBQ at lunch.

Heres a link to the NDVATV site with the list of upcomming events. On the NDV site there is a link to the club forums, both official and non -official. We have lots of non-official get togthers and group rides that get posted over there.

http://www.newdurhamvalleyatvclub.com/

Most of our special events are in the fall.

But on June 14 we are holding the annual NHOHVA meeting. This is open to any member of NHOHVA to attend. To be a member of NHOHVA all you have to do is join a club that is part of NHOHVA and you get an automatic membership. New Durham Valley ATV is a NHOHVA club.

This is mainly an informal buisness meeting/group ride/cookout where we get to hear from those involved in the clubs at both the local and state level. So we get to hear whats going on behind the scenes, both good and bad news. Get information on law changes in the works and talk shop with all involved.

This is more politics in nature, but we have a realy good BBQ at lunch.

Heres a link to the NDVATV site with the list of upcomming events. On the NDV site there is a link to the club forums, both official and non -official. We have lots of non-official get togthers and group rides that get posted over there.

http://www.newdurhamvalleyatvclub.com/

thanks a lot. it sounds good and thats just about the time i want to head up.

Just FYI our 2 trailmasters were working on trails yesterday and had a visit from the local PD. The PD had up to that point made 14 stops and checking registrations during the day and said F&G would be out and about too.

Thanks for the lookout. I would rather be legit and register than worry about problems so Im going to do the right thing and get it registered

This is one of the favorite times of year for NH town PD's and F&G to nail unregistered riders. NH is stingey with the reg stickers. Where in Maine you can register anytime after May 1st and ride for 2 months on the upcoming year registration which starts on July 1st every year. NH dosent allow stickers sold until the last week of June for the July 1st start. So this time of year lots of folks, usually new owners who dont want to pay the registration fee for a month or 2 of use take the chance and ride unregistered and wait till late june to pay the fee. So lots of fines means lots of revinue for local PD's and F&G. And for those unaware, if you do get the reg sticker a week early, its still not legal until July 1st.

I was up at NDVATV trails yesterday. We had a kid friendly ride and BBQ. Great time. We had @ 35 riders in our group. Kid friendly rides mean that we only go the pace of the slowest kid and no pressure to go faster. We had some as young as 5 riding there own machines. We do have some realy fast 6 and 7 year olds too.

F&G was there too as we heard they may be.

A handful of NETRA riders were there all day and having a great time. We also had a small group of DB riders that realy missed out. As we started showing up @ 930am they seemed a little peaved about the number of ATV's and didnt like the idea of riding with us out there.So they loaded up and left without riding. There are @28 miles of trails right now with many more to come as the logging operations finish. Its many random trails alot of which we didnt even go on. We purposely stayed off the hard trails with the kids. Plenty of miles to share and they wouldnt have even knew we were there, so their loss. Weather was perfect for riding and no dust. Black flies didnt even show up till late in the afternoon.

so does this mean I must get registered in the last week of June in order to ride for the rest of the year??

so does this mean I must get registered in the last week of June in order to ride for the rest of the year??

In NH OHRV registrations run from July 1st threw June 30th.

IF your not yet registered, and you register now, its only good untill June 30 2009 and you would then have to register again to ride after July 1st 2009.

So if you register the last week of june and get the July 1st 2009 to June 30 2010 sticker then yes you can ride threw that period legally. But that sticker isnt legal until July 1st.

Heres a new video from this past sunday from one of our hard working members from his DB handlebar cam. This is one of our mountain trails. The 2 wheel riders can do this one alot faster than most of us 4 wheeler riders.

Thanks for the Video Pete!

http://www.rpmbuzz.com/media/363/Climbing_Caverly_Mountain/

OK I get it now. Thats a cool vid looks like fun to ride and nice cam too:thumbsup:

UPDATE: for JUNE 13 & 14 2009

We are holding the annual meeting of NHOHVA which is our governing body for NH ATV clubs.

We have in place a special permit for that Saturday and Sunday which allows no registration for all that want to come and ride. This includes ATV's, Dirtbikes, Trailbikes, Observerd Trials, UTV side x sides etc. This is for both in state and out of state. So all are invited to come ride without the worry of NH registration.

As always there is no charge to ride at the NDVATV club trails. We have plenty of parking available. I personally have seen well over 300 riders in there without feeling that it was too many.

The NHOHVA meeting is by no means mandatory. Its mainly club officers discussing whats going on behind the scenes to keep offroad access open and legal in NH. There are a few amazing people that work extreamly hard to keep trails open in NH and in all honesty without their hard work NH wouldnt have no legal trails at all.

On Sunday there will be a huge BBQ at the NHOHVA meeting for lunch. There is no cost to NHOHVA members for this. To become a member all you have to do is join one of the many ATV clubs in attendence. Im partial to NEW DURHAM VALLEY ATV. Yearly membership is $15 for single and $25 for family. This is rain or shine event. There will be a tent up in case of poor weather. Portapotties will be on hand at the event area.