Are Project Bikes Even Worth It? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Have all you guys with plates gotten your motorcycle endorsement?

Um...I "know" this guy who only plated his bike to connect trails & be legal on the dirt roads in the mountains. He doesn't have a motorcycle endorsement yet.

I, I mean he, is going to Moab in a couple of weeks & doesn't want to give the local enforcement any more ammo than they have if he gets pulled over.

I assume there's a written & driving test here. Is it hard? Will knowing hand signals & basic rules of the road be enough to pass?

You can go and take a simple written test and get a 6mo permit. Then by the end of that time time you must take the road test. Head down to the DMV and get your permit. They will give you all the info you need. Here are some links.

http://www.testquestionsandanswers.com/motorcycle-license/colorado.html

http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/motorcycle-license.php

Two points.

If you ride on the roads without an endorsement or a temp. permit. You will get a ticket if pulled over. A pricey one at that.

Also, if you have read this forum and others, you will see that UT LEOs are targeting CO licensed bikes. If his bike is not legal in UTAH, he better leave the plate at home and stay off the roads.

Utah requires working turn signals, DOT tires, DOT headlights, a mirror and a horn. But only on dirt bikes. You can bet that the LEOs will not be issuing tickets to all the custom bikes and choppers that pass through town.

Not only do you risk a fat ticket, but it's entirely possible that you will get your bike TOWED, and have to retrieve from impound since you are not licensed to drive that vehicle on the highway. Get the permit, don't take the chance.

Just a lil recommendation if you are going to do much street riding in the future...take the experienced rider course with MSF. It cost a little money, but it gives you a license waiver and it may teach you a thing or two. Check out www.msf-usa.org Your dirt riding will more than compensate for skipping the basic rider course, and you can save money on insurance later too.

What a great reminder this thread is... I really need to get my endorsement too. It just always seems to slip into that large part of my mind that forgets about things.

Thanks for the tips.

Like you commando...it sort of slipped my mind, too. All I really plated it for is stuff like riding Rampart Range Road. My Moab trip with all the controversy surrounding riding a plated bike there reminded me.

For those that make it sound like a no brainer to do it, I assume you're running DOT legal tires, a mirror, and a horn any time you connect trails? At least I can claim innocence there. :banghead:

I passed their online practice test (thanks for the link) and hope to do the real one this week.

Hmm...now let's see. All I have to do by next week is hook up blinkers & I'll be legal in Utah. Woo Hoo! :)

Don't forget to carry proof of insurance. That's the expensive ticket.

Two points.

If you ride on the roads without an endorsement or a temp. permit. You will get a ticket if pulled over. A pricey one at that.

Also, if you have read this forum and others, you will see that UT LEOs are targeting CO licensed bikes. If his bike is not legal in UTAH, he better leave the plate at home and stay off the roads.

Utah requires working turn signals, DOT tires, DOT headlights, a mirror and a horn. But only on dirt bikes. You can bet that the LEOs will not be issuing tickets to all the custom bikes and choppers that pass through town.

Thats Funny, The only thing I can find about conforming to Utahs laws is for street legal ATVs not motorcycles. Moab police said If your riding a street legal bike from Colorado you better have an endorsement and insurance. Nothing about blinkers or other Utah requirements. If you are on a Utah registered bike you must follow Utah laws.

the hardest part is the slow speed "inside the box U-turn" move

there is a swerve test

a sweeping turn test

and accelerate and quick stop test

look around you should be able to download a manual that describes the test

you have to show up with a street legal bike...this is the hard part

I took a class to avoid having to show up with a completely street legal bike

Good info...thanks.

OsheaD - You bailed me out...I was probably going to forget my insurance card after focusing on the license. I'll put it a copy in my back pack now.

I *just* took off my DOT approved Metzelers to try out a trials tire. I guess I'll have to put them back on or hope the guy doesn't fail me for that.

I'd be curious how tight they are on the actual street legal setup

most guys I see have the front light and rear/brake light and maybe a mirror, but nothing else (my self included)

no street legal tires, no horn,

but I do have the endorsement and insurance

I just passed the written test. That was easy enough. The only question I missed was one that asked where the kill switch is. I answered the left handlebar because that's where it is on my KTM. I guess that's not normal...they told me that was wrong.

Oh well...still passed & now I have to see if they'll let me take the driving test with my trials tire or if I'll have to switch back to my DOT ones. I'll post their answer here for anybody else who needs to know in the future.

I took my driving test at the parking lot of Rocky Mountain Harley Davidson off County Line in Littleton. It was performed by a retired police officer after hours. I took the test on my dirt bike. He didn't care what bike I was on as long as I had passed the written test first.

That kill switch one got me too. They really need to throw that question out. I don't have a street bike but every bike I have ever owned, the kill switch came from the factory on the left side.

I took my driving test at the parking lot of Rocky Mountain Harley Davidson off County Line in Littleton. It was performed by a retired police officer after hours. I took the test on my dirt bike. He didn't care what bike I was on as long as I had passed the written test first.

Where did you take the written test and how did you get hooked up with the retired police officer? What do you guys think about taking a class? Or did you prep online? My 16 YO and I need to do this pretty soon.

Kill switch on right???? Thats just wrong..on our dirtbikes anyway.

Thanks.

Where did you take the written test and how did you get hooked up with the retired police officer? What do you guys think about taking a class? Or did you prep online? My 16 YO and I need to do this pretty soon.

Kill switch on right???? Thats just wrong..on our dirtbikes anyway.

Thanks.

My wife took a riding/license class and she got a lot out of it. I would think it is a good idea for your 16 y/o at least. Not a bad thing to do together.

The kill switch question make as much sense as asking where the wiper conrols are in a car. Depends on the car. Pretty lame. Seems like there are a lot more pertinent questions.