Sign in to follow this  

Wiring Diagram Needed DR250S

Hi, doods, just got my 1990 DR250S. It runs great, but there are a number of electrical issues. For starters, the brake light switches didn't work and the turn signals don't blink. The wiring has been rednecked together in the worst fashion possible. The relay for the blinkers works and is drawing too much amperage so it only clicks on. I think there is a short somewhere but without having the wiring diagram, I can't know where to start rebuilding my system. Thanks guys, I am going to buy a clymer, but if you have a diagram handy, sooner is better than later.

You can buy used wiring harness off ebay for about $50 if yours is really in bad shape.

Thanks a lot guys. My harness is f'ed to the extreme. The is a load of unnecessary splices and all the lights are melting the plastic they are housed in. It all originated from an aftermarket lighting kit the previous owner installed. He left a lot of clipped wires and incomplete circuits. I think the full replacement is in order.

The relay for the blinkers works and is drawing too much amperage so it only clicks on.
Before you pull your hair out trying to figure out the turn signal relay.... replace it with a $3 relay from an auto parts store. Every one of my bikes has had the turn signal relay fail.

I refuse to spend $30-40 on a OEM unit so I just buy the Heavy Duty relays ........ they work fine for quite a while.

Thanks Bob, is there any specific tolerances the relay needs to meet? Mine has some specs printed on the side. I was actually considering replacing it with a flasher, being that those seem to be simpler and will blink no matter the current. Also I took the plastic cap off of my relay and, judging by the color of the metal therein, concluded that it might be new. I think the problem originates from the wrong circuit passing thru the relay. But I am still interested in a realistically priced generic relay. Thanks for helping guys!

Ha, I should have stuck to the common sense of check the easiest fix first. The bike was wired properly. It's messy, unprofessional and done with cheap parts, but all the wires are connected where they should be. I took Bob's advice and bought a five dollar thermal flasher. The lights blink and the unit fit onto the OEM plug. Problem solved.