Sign in to follow this  

2001 DR650 cylinder gasket upgrade

I'm working on a 2001 DR650 for a friend of mine. The cylinder is leaking at the base gasket. It was squished from the factory. I heard the newer DR's use a metal gasket.

Is it possible to use this gasket? Or when I order one specially for this bike will it be already upgraded?

Thanks

I'm working on a 2001 DR650 for a friend of mine. The cylinder is leaking at the base gasket. It was squished from the factory. I heard the newer DR's use a metal gasket.

Is it possible to use this gasket? Or when I order one specially for this bike will it be already upgraded?

Thanks

My '02 sprung a base gasket leak and I had read about the paper gasket being superceded by the metal gasket. When I ordered one from the dealer they noted that the replacement was a "superceded" design which is metal so I don't think they'll be giving you the worthless paper gasket unless they have one gathering dust in their shop.

I've replaced a couple of the old base gaskets. Suzuki improved the base gasket in the 2004 model. When you order your gasket you will get the new metal gasket. I always replace the head gasket and the Cam Chain Tentioner gaskets at the same time. Pretty straight foward repair. Just be mindful of Engine Top Dead Center and Cam timing when you put it back together.

What they said. You should also use a new head gasket when you do the base. You will also need a good sealant for the valve cover. Part numbers:

Base Gasket 11241-04F20

Cylinder Head Gasket 11141-32E00

About $35 for both.

This would be a perfect opportunity to upgrade to a high compression piston. :)

This would be a perfect opportunity to upgrade to a high compression piston. :)

But who would sell such a thing?

:banghead:

And what about balance? Is a new piston going to be the same weight? These things vibrate enough without adding to it.

And what about balance? Is a new piston going to be the same weight? These things vibrate enough without adding to it.

I believe the weight of the high comp piston is less than the OEM piston :)

high compression piston wouldn't be a bad idea considering the bike is a turd

Really?

What is turdish about it?