Sign in to follow this  

Do you guys race? How do you get started? Help Please!

Hey guys, I've been tossing around the idea of entering a race at some point this year. I just want to do it for fun and to have something to train and work towards.

I've been riding since I was 6 and am a confident rider out in the woods and trails. I'd say I'm Intermediate or Novice level at best...I'm really not sure because I've never thought about it or pitted myself against another rider...so I'm just guessing. In a race, I'd probably be a beginner.

Anyhow, I'm interested in both MX and a Harescramble type of race. Nothing too brutal...but something challenging and fun.

Can you guys please point me in the right direction of where I should go and what I should do in order to get started.

Not sure if this is the correct forum - I searched but this topic seems to be scattered thoughout TT so I came here to the California Forum since I want to race locally in So. Cal.

Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris

There should be lots of local clubs in your area. check the bike shops and start contacting them to attend a meeting as a guest. Many have monthly rides and you can check them out to see if it's a good fit for you and your riding style. That should put you in touch with some riders who can tutor you in how to get signed up to a race. It's always better to buddy up when going to an event in case you get hurt or your bike has problems.

really just sign up for a race that looks good to you. It is that easy. Most people are in your shoes (at least a bunch of them) in that they are not pros and just get out there. You will finish ahead of a bunch of folks if you have been riding that long especially in a harescrambles. Don't think about it too much--JUST DO IT--really!

For moto you might want to try to the over the hill gang. Laid back, helpful guys - good way to get started. Easy place to start for moto.

For desert do the district 37 stuff.

Agreed on the Over the hill gang OTHG. It helps if you go with someone who knows the ropes a bit. Checking in, practice, set up etc.

Where do live? There is a 3 race series coming up soon. March 29, April 5, April 19. 1st Honolulu Hills (Taft, Ca), 2nd at AV motoplex in Lancaster, 3rd race at California City.

http://www.calcitymxpark.com/

I'm located in the San Fernando Valley...So. Cal.

I took a look at the website....The Over the Hill Gang sounds awesome.

Thanks for the info guys!

Are you guys members?

I'm located in the San Fernando Valley...So. Cal.

I took a look at the website....The Over the Hill Gang sounds awesome.

Thanks for the info guys!

Are you guys members?

Chris,

I'm an OTHG member up north (Sierra Chapter) and its a great place to start motocross. The begineer class is a true begineer class. Everyone out there has to work on monday so the racing is much safer and it's a great group of guys and gals. If you can, try to race a "gang only event", they're pretty low key because only the gang is racing on that day. That means you won't be around a ton of folks and 20 plus moto's in one day. You're first two races will be "evaluation races" so the club can be sure your in the right class for your ability.

The chapter in So Cal is the founding chapter of the entire club and has the most races a year :) and once your part of the "gang" you can almost always find a partner to practice/race with and you'll get a ton of riding tips. :banghead:

oops sorry, now let me give you the correct address.www.district37ama.org

Just go to this web site, log on to the message board, create a username, ask a club to guest pit for you, then create another user name, use another club to pit for you, rinse and repeat:lol: This is what I did til I got caught and had to join a club.

Honestly this a great group people to race and hang out with. There are many D37 racers on this site that can help you out if want to try desert racing. A fellow TTer recruited me about two years ago. Now I try to race at least once a month. D37 also holds some MX races as well.

Chris,

I'm an OTHG member up north (Sierra Chapter) and its a great place to start motocross. The begineer class is a true begineer class. Everyone out there has to work on monday so the racing is much safer and it's a great group of guys and gals. If you can, try to race a "gang only event", they're pretty low key because only the gang is racing on that day. That means you won't be around a ton of folks and 20 plus moto's in one day. You're first two races will be "evaluation races" so the club can be sure your in the right class for your ability.

The chapter in So Cal is the founding chapter of the entire club and has the most races a year :) and once your part of the "gang" you can almost always find a partner to practice/race with and you'll get a ton of riding tips. :banghead:

Sounds great. Thanks. This is the type of info I was requesting in my IP. I had no idea where to go or who to talk to. This helps a ton.

Thanks everybody!

Initially, I want to try an MX race. I went to the track for the first time in 18 years back in January (Piru) and it was a blast (while it lasted). Arm pump ruined me after just a couple laps each time I went out but I know with more seat time and if I just relax a bit, I'll be good to go. Anyhow, now that I got my bike dialed in for me, I ought to be a lot better out there. I think I'll be riding at I-5 MX this Saturday with a fellow TTer. It should be fun.

Sounds great. Thanks. This is the type of info I was requesting in my IP. I had no idea where to go or who to talk to. This helps a ton.

Thanks everybody!

Initially, I want to try an MX race. I went to the track for the first time in 18 years back in January (Piru) and it was a blast (while it lasted). Arm pump ruined me after just a couple laps each time I went out but I know with more seat time and if I just relax a bit, I'll be good to go. Anyhow, now that I got my bike dialed in for me, I ought to be a lot better out there. I think I'll be riding at I-5 MX this Saturday with a fellow TTer. It should be fun.

You should give District 37 GP series a try.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

SoCal MX tracks

Lake Elsinore

Perris

Starwest

Comp Park

Glen Helen

Victorville

LACR

Piru

Gormon

what area you in?????

and if your not sure where to start just enter a beginner class, dont be scared or worried about anyone else, do YOUR THING and if you wanna race then do it! i raced since i was 13 and all in SoCal area

SoCal MX tracks

Lake Elsinore

Perris

Starwest

Comp Park

Glen Helen

Victorville

LACR

Piru

Gormon

what area you in?????

and if your not sure where to start just enter a beginner class, dont be scared or worried about anyone else, do YOUR THING and if you wanna race then do it! i raced since i was 13 and all in SoCal area

I'm in the San Fernando Valley...Granada Hills. I'll definitley start in beginner class. When it comes to riding tracks, I am a beginner, which is fine with me. Thanks for all the help guys. :)

Its all good , beginner on up . I grew up in Palmdale ,LACR was my home way too long :banghead: . If I remember right ,Starwest was basically a supercross track ,spent half the time in the air . Try that on an open class bike , no bueno . Its a great time ,good luck :)

Chris,

Here's a few things I do each race.

Have the bike tech/prepped before the day of the race, you don't want to make changes on race day.

Check all of your gear,tools and food/water the night before, that way you can just "load up" in the morning and go (you'll be a bit stressed)

Get to the track early, sign-up as soon as you can (helps with 1st moto gate pick) then find out the practice order. Sometimes it's by skill level and sometimes it's bike color (all red and green bikes) and so on...

Go and walk the track, usually the race day layout is different from the normal layout.

Try to go out and practice as many times as you can (usually twice) then watch the faster classes. They often find the best lines around the track and you can get some good insight just from watching them.

At this point the race schedule should be posted, find out what moto your in and take note of the ones ahead of you so you know when to be getting ready.

Pay attention to how they run the starts.

I know this sounds like a lot but, after a race or two it will be second nature.

Have fun, remember to breathe, hold your line.

-DG636 :)

Good props from DG636. There aint nothin like getting to the track and you aint got no helmet. I got my food but no melon protection. Been there, done that. I was able to borrow one, however. That's another great thing about the "lower key" races. You will always find someone willing to help you out.