Sign in to follow this  

yamaha 2strokes need imo

although yamaha moves a decent amount of two strokes as it is.

i believe that ways to get sales up higher would be to just do some cosmetic changes.

i wish that they would make the two strokes look more like the four strokes with the gas tank and shrouds, dont get me started about the rear fender and number plates.

they should also be more considerate, if you offer two options with the 4 strokes offer the same with the 2 strokes. black wheels with some white plastics. i mean come on.

also they should have done some sort of swing arm mod to them as well; cutting that much aluminum off, i would bet drops 2lbs on the rear, also new axle and hubs keep the stuff interchangeable for the people who can afford both.

and next year in 2010 that would be a great year to put the two stroke motors in the new frames. same styling as the four strokes though.

anyways rather im right or wrong i would like to hear some of your opinions on how they could better an already fantastic two stroke.

oh yes and why dont they atleast do a couple of tests with FI on a two stroke; or have they?

You basically stated what you would want and no offense but I don't agree with any of them...The YZs plastics although a little dated look awesome...Weight isn't a big issue with the 2 strokes anymore because they are already as light as possible without going under the AMA's weight limit (216LBS no gas for the 250/450 class) the new YZ250's are according to Yamaha 211LBS but it depends on how the AMA actually weighs the bikes (Im sure Yamaha's weight is with no trans fluid, no gas, no fork or shock oil, etc.) I think the AMA's standard is ready to ride no gas which would probably put the YZ250 right around 216LBS...These bikes could be sub 200LBS (no gas) easily...I think the YZ 2 stroke frames look way better than the 4 strokes frames and I'm sure I'm not the only one...Some color choices would be sweet though...

i kind of like the plastic for the 2strokes i just which the radiator shrouds where 1 piece and covered the gas tank so your graphics stick and dont turn yellow.

...i wish that they would make the two strokes look more like the four strokes with the gas tank and shrouds, dont get me started about the rear fender and number plates.

...offer two options as with the 4 strokes -- offer the same with the 2 strokes. black wheels with some white plastics.

also they should have done some sort of swing arm mod to them as well; cutting that much aluminum off, i would bet drops 2lbs on the rear, also new axle and hubs keep the stuff interchangeable for the people who can afford both.

I'm with ya, tanner.

If for no other reason than interchangeability (and the economy of scale it offers), ALL running gear, suspension, bodywork, etc. should be identical across the board for all Yamaha's full-sized bikes, IMHO.

If these shared parts end up making the 2-strokes weigh less than FIM minimums, so what? Who's going to complain? Certainly not the customers. :)

Unfortunately, I doubt this will happen. Modern business always seems to create a proliferation of models, rather than a consolidation of models. :banghead:

i have thought about this as well.:banghead:

I agree with the new plastic, hubs, swingarm, color options, and r&d.

with the hubs and swingarm and lighter bodywork. the two stroke could drop around three pounds which would be awesome. also r&d would create faster more usable powerbands. and i would buy a white/blk yz very quickly...

i also agree that the weight limit will probably be null with the two strokes as they are already almost extinct.

BUT, if they make a sweet ass 2010 with all these updates, my ass will go into more debt by selling my 09 for one! :)

finishedyz250-1-1.jpg:)

that looks really good and would be easy for yamaha to do just move the rivet nuts in the tank. hey fix the tank the top is black bottom blue:smirk:

heres the white also. not sure what happened around the side pannel but oh well

finishedyz250white-1-1.jpg

once i adjusted my eyes, they look really nice. updated.

i want one like that in the future, even if i have to build it. find a tank shroud kit for a yzf and mate it to the frame, couple of mounting point adjustments and id be in business. maybe too much effort for so little tho

^ maybe thats what they dont want happening! :)

I dont like how the shrouds look at all id rather they have the same look as they always have but make it so that the shroud covers the gas tank so my graphics dont bubble, they should keep the 2 stroke frame its much better looking, i would make the parts interchangable, the only thing i would change is the rear fender they look good already but i love the back fender on them 4-strokes, and i would really like a white one

finishedyz250-2-1.jpg:)

That looks awesome.

When the 2 stroke out sells the 4, then we'll see some serious develpoment.

Unfortunately, that is un-likely to happen.

well i just went out to my shop and it wouldn't fit they would need to make new plastics. the radiator bolt is about 1in off other wise it would be do able you would need to trip the bottom down so it would fit flush with the tank though. like i said and some one else i just which they would make a 1 piece side panel that would cover up the gas tank but with the same style how they are now. i just hate how tank decals slowly start to loosen up . i always unscrew the cap so it can breathe and most of the time the tank is empty .

heres the white also. not sure what happened around the side pannel but oh well

finishedyz250white-1-1.jpg

Since were requesting photoshops, can we get a background sized one? Love the looks of that bike.

I was in a decent riding community today. A city where many would be able to ride from their houses. The local Yamaha dealer had a brand new 2007 yz 250 and was asking a sort-of-reasonable 5400.00 for it. I wonder just how well the yz 250, or any bike , is selling?

In general it is agreed that these simple adjustments would probably increase sales, but....

I think it may be more appropriate that we thank Yamaha for continuing production of the zingers.

I was chatting with a local woman who used to manage the big moto gear store in my area, and she said that once 4 strokes really took hold they saw less and less interest in the sport, and that the shop she works for now sees more interest (ie questions asked etc) in used two strokes, and new KTM two strokes than they do in the Fours.

I say it is time to start the counter revolution!

In general it is agreed that these simple adjustments would probably increase sales, but....

I think it may be more appropriate that we thank Yamaha for continuing production of the zingers.

I was chatting with a local woman who used to manage the big moto gear store in my area, and she said that once 4 strokes really took hold they saw less and less interest in the sport, and that the shop she works for now sees more interest (ie questions asked etc) in used two strokes, and new KTM two strokes than they do in the Fours.

I say it is time to start the counter revolution!

gear up! im right beside ya. i dont have the money to maintain a fourstroke for racing..thats why im on 85s. Cant just sit down and $&@# a few thousand dollars everytime i ride my bike

gear up! im right beside ya. i dont have the money to maintain a fourstroke for racing..thats why im on 85s. Cant just sit down and $&@# a few thousand dollars everytime i ride my bike

Thats what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Seriously though, I think the switch to four strokes might have been the worst thing possible for the sport. 99% of the people who race motocross, do it as a hobby. Since the advent of the four stroke that hobby has near doubled in price based upon initial investment, and yearly maintenance.