Sign in to follow this  

Valve Clearances checked - sound ok??

I recently purchased a 2000 DRZ400e that is in outstanding condition, but given that it had two prior owners and needed a MCCT installed, I decided to pull the valve cover off and go ahead and make sure the motor was TDC before putting the MCCT on and checked the valve clearances while I was in there. First let me say as a Noob to these bikes, I found it pretty easy (but took my time) to check the valve clearances. It helped a lot watching a few of the YouTube videos that showed exactly how to check the tolerances....otherwise I may not of known what to check once the valve cover was off! I had a normal set of feeler gauges that were bent on the end and they worked fine.

I don't have a repair manual yet, so I did a search on the forum and found the following tolerances for my bike's valves (hope they are correct!): Intake between .004 & .008 Exhaust between .008 & .012

HERE'S WHAT MY 9 YEAR OLD BIKE SPEC'D OUT AT:

Intake: the valve more towards the center of the motor was at .005 and the valve more towards the side of the motor was .007

Exhaust: in same order as above the specs were .008 & .010 respectively.

So interestinly enough, the valves more toward the center of the motor spec'd toward the low side of the tolerances while the valves closer to the edge/side of the motor spec'd out at the higher end of the tolerances. I'd be curious if anyone else has seen this pattern in their motors???

All in all I guess I'm within the limits so no shims need to be added for now. Please PM me or respond to this post if you think something doesn't look or sound right.

BTW, the MCCT was an easy install.....I did hear the loud noise once I loosened it up a bit and you could also feel a lot of vibration on the MCCT bolt....that all went away once I tightened it back up a bit.

Thanks.

Steven

I assumed both valves on the exhaust pipe side would both be exhaust valves and both valves more toward the center of the bike on the carb side of the engine would be intake.....is that not correct??? Again, I am a noob at this!

Sounds like my thinking was correct then. Two valves near the exhaust port are both exhaust, and two valves on the carb side of the motor are intake.

Given that the tolerances were in spec, I'm still curious if anyone else has found that the exhaust and intake valves more towards the center of the motor (as opposed to the 2 valves closest to the edge (outer side) of the motor tend to have tighter tolerances than their opposing valves on the outside??

Valve location (right/left side) and specs have no relationship to clearances. When an engine is built, shims installed depend on a multitude of things. Howere, lets say your right exhaust valve tightened up. You shim it. It is likely to move again due to the valve constrution (the oem valves are a two piece, spin weld type). If a valve seat was sinking, same thing. But two near identical bikes, it is a roll of the dice as to what the clearances are and what valve, if any, starts to tighten.