Sign in to follow this  

9 year old chain....time to change?? Recommendations?

I believe the chain on my 2000 DRZ400e is stock/orig. to the bike. I have lubed it many times since buying it and even let it sit for a week while the oil soaked in, but the chain is still pretty stiff. I can't get each "link" to pivot unless I forcefully make it pivot. If I pick up the chain with my finger on the top or bottom, the chain basically stays straight...really not much flex. There's no rust on it, but a heavy build of grease/oil/dirt I guess. It has not come off yet during a ride, but should I go ahead and put a new chain on it? I don't have any special chain-breakers to remove/replace the chain so am I better off taking it to the dealer and have them do it?

Lastly what chain brands are typically better? OEM? Aftermarket? My riding style is basic trails and small MX tracks with the kids....probably no more than about 10-15 hours/year max.

Thanks

Steven

if you want quality, a DID 520 Xring gold will oultlast the bike, but they are on the expensive side, replace the sprockets with the chain.

also all you need to break a chain is an angle grinder, grind the two pins off of a link and take the plate off, when you install the new chain use the clip.

I am having the same problem with my 2000 S model. The Moose Racing 520 HPO chain looked good for the price, and only $80 instead of $100+ for the X-ring chain or other fancier ones. Anyone care to comment?

I can't get each "link" to pivot unless I forcefully make it pivot.

Replace the chain.

Sounds like the links are seizing-up.

If you don't, you won't have to worry about how you'll get it disconnected because it will do it all by itself while you're riding the bike.

Any of the top-name chains should be good to go. I've been having excellent results with RK's on my R1 and DRZ the last few years. Keep it clean, and it'll last.

If your stock chain lasted that long get another stock one.... Chain breaker and your all set.

How about MSR Chains??? My local Suzuki shop has one in stock for $85 and it has the slide clip to connect the chain (no breaker required). My factory chain has the same slide clip so it will just slip off once I remove the clip. The Suz shop is also willing to match my orig. chain length if I take my chain up to their shop.

How about MSR Chains??? My local Suzuki shop has one in stock for $85 and it has the slide clip to connect the chain (no breaker required). My factory chain has the same slide clip so it will just slip off once I remove the clip. The Suz shop is also willing to match my orig. chain length if I take my chain up to their shop.

Sounds like a good deal. I would replace the sprockets too, if the chain is worn out then the sprockets are probably beat up as well.

i've got over 10,000 miles on my stock chain and sprockets, and the chain is still servicable, but the sprockets are badly worn and the chain is stretched enough to warrant replacement. No stiff links, but very hard to accurately adjust. Got a new 15/38 and D.I.D oring chain waiting. gonna do it later this week along with the locktite mods for sprocket, primary nut, and stator nut

Actually the gears look really good....nice/wide/thick teeth still.....not the sharp edges/points you see on really worn sprockets. I don't think the chain is that worn it's just that this bike was not used all that much and was never ever cleaned so it's pretty greased up and does not bend all that well at each link.