Sign in to follow this  

XR project

Hi all. I have tackled a repair (96 XR600) for a friend of mine who is not technically capable.I need to look into the cylinder head etc for diagnosing purposes.Aside from that my question is that once I pulled the Carb off I saw no choke butterfly in the carb.Hoping this part is not sitting in the engine, I suspect it was removed due to the notorius stories behind this part.

Can I leave it off as I have read here on TT that some guys don't even use their choke.Our weather here in SA is fairly warm all year round.(coldest +-14 degrees C.)

Thanks for any advice. PS I might buy this bike as I have sold my WR450 and after doing research into the XR600 I see people RAVE about it!

Yeah, you can run it without the butterfly. A lot of people remove it to improve the air flow, and thereby, performance. It just makes it harder to start in cold weather.

Ditto to what Kawidad said. I have a 97 XR600, w/choke removed (as well as choke shaft) I plugged the open end w/a piece of plugged rubber hose, and have 0 issues.

I run without a choke and it gets considerably colder here than 14°C/57°F.

If the butterfly screws are still in the choke shaft, then it's possible you will find the butterfly down stream. If they are gone, then someone most likely removed it. They are staked and don't come out without a concerted effort to make them come out.

I run without a choke and it gets considerably colder here than 14°C/57°F.

If the butterfly screws are still in the choke shaft, then it's possible you will find the butterfly down stream. If they are gone, then someone most likely removed it. They are staked and don't come out without a concerted effort to make them come out.

I also run with no choke at all. Like was said if you saw a screws holding a small piece of the choke plate then it got sucked through the engine. If it is gone completely then someone took it out.

I have started my bike down to about 0 degrees C. When it's below 10 C I might have to lay the bike down so the carb floods a little. At 0 C I have to for sure. The it usually starts right up.

Great! Nice to hear no choke needed(if motor in good shape obviously)

There were no screws in choke butterfly shaft so thank goodness for that.

Didn't think about removing shaft for better flow (might just do that)

Thanks for the info guys!