First ride with fresh top end

I went out for my first ride with my new top end yesterday. 2005 YZ250F.

Holy crap, it needed a top end so badly! It felt like it had way more power than when I rode it last, in the fall. At that point the piston had about 70 hours on it so it was due. When we took the piston out it was still in good shape, but it was obviously very tired.

I also put a 12 tooth fron sprocket on and I like that too. The power signs off a little earlier on top end now, but it has more down low. I need that since I'm 235 lbs and tend to ride in the lower end of the power bandd anyway.

congrats on getting your baby back and running (well). that 12 tooth front sprocket can sure make a difference huh? now you can go low and slow and not wear out that clutch hand.

I'm going thru a similar rebuild right now, but I'm putting in a 290 kit as well. also going to do the "float the ground mod" so I can have some HID lighting later (already have a the new regulator).

I can't wait to get back to riding!

It was running well before, but the piston was just worn out. It is ripping hard now though. I did switch to a Wiseco but i doubt that makes much of a difference.

I noticed that the 12 tooth allows me to ride a gear higher at times. A forgotten down shift before would be a bog bog stall. But now it is just a bog and it's not as bad.

It was running well before, but the piston was just worn out. It is ripping hard now though. I did switch to a Wiseco but i doubt that makes much of a difference.

I noticed that the 12 tooth allows me to ride a gear higher at times. A forgotten down shift before would be a bog bog stall. But now it is just a bog and it's not as bad.

I have always heard that, because of the way Wiseco makes their pistons, you need to let the bike warm up fully before you go rippin' on it to prevent cold seizure.

Just wanted to remind you of that, in case cabin fever got the best of you. ?

I too have replaced my top end in mine with Wiseco and am in much the same situation with wanting to get back out and go riding.

Changed the oil and filter yesterday and it looked good. No metal in the oil or filter.

1.5 hours of runtime on the new piston.

First oil change completed.

I am considering this new piston broken in. Sweet.

I just put a new top end in mine after waayy too long and it made a huge difference. The old one looked fine but it was obviously in need of replacing. I finally put an hour-meter on with the top end and I'm going to be more dilligent about the maintenance.

what did you guys use to pull that wrist pin out of the piston? i have all the tools i was just curious how you guys did this

I took out both circle clips, pushed on one side and it came out on the other. see my post about which clips to install, there's pics .... hope they help some ..

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761279