Sign in to follow this  

No more training wheels

Weaned the little man off of his training wheels yesterday and I don't know who is more stoked, him or me. He wants to race pee wee hare scrambles next year. I can't wait; he gets to race Saturday and I get to race Sunday.

Great, how old? More than likely, there's some class he can qualify in, just like pee wee football, it's about having fun, winning can come later.

He's five; be six by next season. He will be able to race FTR pee wee C. He already hates to have anyone in front of him, but I try to instill just what you mentioned, that it's all for fun.

Thought of something else.

None of our dirt bikes ever had training wheels.

But when my daughter turned three, or maybe it was right before she turned three, I bought her a tiny little schwinn which of course, came with training wheels. I think everything smaller than 20" comes with training wheels and eve some 20" bikes do.

One day I came home and she's riding around the driveway without the training wheels. Her brother decided to push her out of the nest and thankfully she figured out how to fly.

The hardest part was actually getting the coordination to pedal forwards or backwards at will. Probably because she never rode a tricycle which pedaling backwards moves the bike backwards. The balance seemed much easier to come by for some reason.

I wish I had video of her trying to pedal backwards - that engaged the brake, always humorous.

And then there was the time she rode straight into her mom's car (bicycle again). I was standing 20 feet away, but she blamed me. Far too funny.

When I took the training wheels off of his 16" BMX bike I basically handed him the bike and he rode away. It was truly amazing; he rode the thing like he'd been riding forever. When I finally convinced him the training wheels needed to come off the PW it was exactly the same thing.

The throttle limiter came off yesterday also, but just before the training wheels were removed. Should've seen the look on his face the first time he pinned it - thought he was going to have to change his shorts.

I think I've had that same look on my face as my trusty steed threw me over the handle bars and onto the dirt.

To my recollection I didn't need to change my shorts, but maybe that ended up flying out as well.

I cut a small but technical (for a PW) hare scramble loop on our side property. He was doing laps through the trees yesterday and loving it. I'm going to let him get a little more seat time and then see about having his friend over with his KTM 50 to spice things up a bit. They've ridden together several times before, but always on a pee wee MX track, not in the woods.

cool beans. My little guy just turned 5 in Feb and has been riding since Christmas on his KDX50. Ive already got rid of the throttle stop but he is hesitant to lose the training wheels. He is excellent on his bicycle, had to be before Santa would bring him a dirt bike. I know he is ready to lose the training wheels but there is some fear in it too. Im looking forward to pulling them off soon myself. Gordo

Tell him you'll hold on to the back side of the bike, so he can't fall over.

Then walk/run behind him. Somewhere along the line he'll look back and see that you're not holding on any more.

Problem solved.

I would listen to your son. If he has some fear in losing the training wheels, there's a reason. Has he had enough time to know how to "instinctively" brake in different situations? How about throttle into a turn, brake, then throttle out of a turn? How about throttle and dragging the brake at the same time? Training wheels aren't just for balancing. It's more valuable of a tool for a small child to get enough seat time to master the controls...throttle, braking, seat positon, standing up and balancing body weight against gravity pushing back....w/out having to worry about balancing at the start.

....on his KDX50. Ive already got rid of the throttle stop but he is hesitant to lose the training wheels. He is excellent on his bicycle, had to be before Santa would bring him a dirt bike. I know he is ready to lose the training wheels but there is some fear in it too.

I didn't push the boy too hard, but did tell him they had to go if he wanted to race. It took two attempts; the first time he asked to remove them he just sat there frozen and wouldn't touch the throttle, so back on they went. This last time I took them off and he simply rode away.

I mentioned it to him from time to time, but I let him decide to do it on his own. I didn't want to discourage him.