Sign in to follow this  

Ultimate XR650L upgrade!

Well a little background. I purchased a 1997 650L that was all stock. I put it on a diet removing everything I could including huge tail light, smog ect. I installed a White Brothers e series exhaust, daves mods, snorkle removal and Uni air filter. The bike ran great, but I yearned for more. I came across this on craigslist. It's a 2002 XRR that is pretty decked out. It has very low hours, original plastic hardly any wear on the cases. Upgrades include: e series exhaust, gpr steering damper, ims pro series pegs, uncorked carb, k&n filter, XR's only case saver and choke plate, upgraded thermostat and radiator cap, IMS 3.2 gal fuel tank. Bike has original chain and sprockets with little to now wear. Perfect dualsport platform. I am loving the new bike. Plus after selling my 650L, it only cost me $650 for the upgrade including the 20 hour drive to get it. Not bad huh?

Before upgrade:

10-17-08_1737.jpg

After Upgrade:

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

so - which one is really faster ? and is that 650R a PITA to start ?

The XRR is significantly faster. I will miss the electric start, but once you learn the technique the XRR starts pretty easy.

Man, I thought you were headed to drop in a KTM 525 or 530...

I am a DIE HARD Honda guy, bar none owned over 35 mainly XR's... Until I rode a KTM.... I'm sold. Electric start, stock suspension that rivals Honda's after a re-valve (beat the shit out of me on this one, but upside down vs: old school conventional... come on it is the 2000's for christ sake...) Electric start, less weight, 6 gears, less weight... Better components.

I am DYING for Honda to step up to the plate and beat the Katoomers... I will sell the bikes and burn the orange gear, I promise.

Honda just got beat, plain and simple. The new Husky's, Husabergs, and a few exotics have whipped Honda's ass... Truly sad... The saving grace IS the other bikes. I have a 525 and am lusting after the Husaberg 570. Here here to Honda manning the PHuque up and building a decent bike that can at least compete with the latest offerings of FAR superior machines...

I just talked to a guy that works for american honda and asked him, said "not to drop any secrets, but is honda coming out with something for a big bore dual sport maybe" he said NO theres no market to replace the 650r and the L is obviously the only thing. He said the R was a west coast thing mainly as its an open road haul a$$ desert bike and most in mid west and east coast arent big fans of the BRP. Ill pry a tad more as i didnt want any specifics just to see if there making something maybe with that 700cc motor, but as for now he said nothing.

MOTORSPORT

I just got an R and never being a 4T kick starter ive started it warm and cold 2 kicks so far and it starts pretty easy.

It seems to me that the only reason honda sells so many L's is because there is no other big bore dualsport option from honda. If they offered an electric start dualsport version of the R they would hardly sell any L's. It is a better bike in all aspects. I loved my L, but the R is much better.

For us old farts, no button, no upgrade!! Congrats on the new bike.

I have looked on a UK site that has a estart kit for the 650R. I think they had a economy one and a very nice one for around 1000Lbs. Sorry I don't remeber where. Do a search for estart kit for a 650R.

Hmmm... seems to be missing one important accessory -- the license plate.

Hmmm... seems to be missing one important accessory -- the license plate.

Got the plate today! Now I need to order the trick dualsport kit and make it legit!

I know I'm late on this,but,I think the KTM's have a much higher maintenance rate than the 650l's etc----right?.What is it with folks wanting lighter,faster machines---they do not communte any better--worse in the wind(lighter weight)??????.

Most people I know register their bikes so they can legally ride roads between trails. The places near me with trails require a registration to ride as well.

Sounds like a cheap way for a HP. bump. I think I'm going to pick me up an R too.

my husa will spank it
Is that one of those Chinese copies of a Hayabusa?

:smirk:

yup...

...plus i think all of this spanking and domination crap is for weirdo's... :lol:

...real men ride big XR's. :ride:

:lol:

Thats good stuff.......A friend asked me what he could put on his "L" to make it faster..........and I told him "a for sale sign".........he also went with an R and hasn't looked back