Sign in to follow this  

Hard start Poor idle 08 KLX450

I just prchased used 08 KLX450 with 170 miles. I installed PMB exhaust insert, AIS removed, JD Jetting kit. Set for 6-9000 feet. I ride mostly Colorado.

160 main

Red needle 3rd clip postion

45 pilot. (Was a 50 when I bought bike.)

Snorkel removed.

Bike starts hard. Cold start will not start without turning throttle to pump fuel even with choke on. After a couple turn of throttle it will fire run a couple seconds then quit. After a couple times it will keep running. Starts kind of hard hot also.

Went to Pawnee Grasslands for first dirt ride yesterday and keep getting what I think you call hanging idle. I will idle fast until I load the engine with clutch then it will slow down. Lowering idle speed seems to help, but I have to go lower than I like the idle speed.

Does this sound like tuning the pilot circuit, or possibly blocked pilot? I have tried 1.5 to 3 turn on idle screw with no effect.

Mike

Fast or hanging idle is a sign of too lean a pilot jet or fuel screw not set right. Check/set this before you swap the starter jet. You just replaced the pilot so I like to think it was and and clean.

Having to hit the throttle a few times is fairly normal. Once cold started on choke, it should stay running. Replace the starter jet with a larger one.

Fast or hanging idle is a sign of too lean a pilot jet or fuel screw not set right. Check/set this before you swap the starter jet. You just replaced the pilot so I like to think it was and and clean.

Having to hit the throttle a few times is fairly normal. Once cold started on choke, it should stay running. Replace the starter jet with a larger one.

I am having a similar problem with my crf 250x, sorry if this is a stupid Q's what is the starter jet? Also to lean a pilot meaning needing a larger size?

Dan