Sign in to follow this  

A nice day to lose 2.1 MILLLION ACRES - ACTION ALERT

BRC Urgent Action Alert

Immediate Action Requested

Omnibus Package Revived In Senate - Vote Scheduled Today

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

In our last update on the massive omnibus public lands bill, we cautioned our members that the package is far from dead. We wrote: "Worse, possible scenarios are being considered that will prohibit full review as well as opportunity to offer amendments."

True to form, Congress is pushing ahead with yet another vehicle for the omnibus package. This time it's H.R. 146 - "The Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Acquisition Grant Program." This otherwise worthy bill will be amended to include the contents of the omnibus package. The Senate is expected to take the bill up at 2 p.m. eastern with the first cloture vote due as early as 5:30 p.m.

At this point it looks as if the Senate leadership will either strike a deal to limit amendments in order for the bill to move quickly, or they will just push it through without allowing any opportunity for amendments. Either way, the bill is likely to see its first cloture vote TODAY!

If the Senate passes the measure it is expected that House leadership will attempt to jam it through via one or more "closed rule" options. D.C. insiders expect House leadership to call the legislation up as a "preferential bill," which would prohibit committee review and limit amendments.

BRC is asking all of our members and supporters to call their Senators NOW. Finding their phone number is easy. Click here and enter your Zip code. Simply tell your Senator that you oppose the Omnibus Public Lands Act and you want them to vote NO on H.R. 146.

Be brief. Be polite. Do it NOW.

As always, if you have any questions or need assistance call or email.

Brian Hawthorne

Public Lands Policy Director

BlueRibbon Coalition

208-237-1008 ext 102

• Like 1

I contacted both of my senators and my local representative Saturday, hopefully it will make a difference.

Yeah, they are hell-bent on this issue. Another attempt to sneak it in with other more worthy items. Half of them never even read the thing...and openly admit it.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-146

(3) ELIGIBLE SITE- The term ‘eligible site’ means a site that--

(A) is not within the exterior boundaries of a unit of the National Park System; and

(:) is identified in the battlefield report.

So after reading the available full text of this bill, I am still unsure as to how exactly this is a threat to ORV riding areas... i guess unless you ride on some old battlefield. Can someone explain?

Most of the US was used at a battle field one time or another if you look hard enuff you could probably find some artifacts in your won backyard.

So after reading the available full text of this bill, I am still unsure as to how exactly this is a threat to ORV riding areas... i guess unless you ride on some old battlefield. Can someone explain?

My understanding is that they're attaching the Omnibus Lands bill as a "rider" on this battlefield bill. So, the bill is for one thing but it has the Omnibus attached to it.

so what will this bill do?

Designate 2.1 million acres of public land as "wilderness". Short story: no OHV opportunity period for these lands. If they have legal trails to ride, if passed, they go bye bye (legally anyway).

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/output.cfm?ID=2074789

So, did this pass? Because i don't want to lose the Local dunes or Trails

Yes it will pass. No you will not loose your local trails or dunes. wilderness area is defined by lack of roads. If a road is in an area (even dirt logging roads for instance - it is not "wilderness".

unfortunately there is alot of fear mongering by individuals in this forum who are having a hard time dealing with the past elections, and this is their chosen fear tactic.

The truth is your "right to ride" on public land does not take precedence over anyone else s rights to that same public land. Abuse the privilege - cut across switchbacks, make a new trail, rut out a hill, scare a horseback rider, litter up an area, have loud drunken all night get together - all of these things impact the general public's perception of off road riders. And we are now getting rewarded for a few pigheaded idiots abuse of the public trust!

2.1 million acres is a drop in the bucket when you look at public owned land - and the vast majority of that land is open to responsible ORV use.

But keep acting like A**holes - and that land will be and is being taken away - a parcel at a time.

And no - it's not being taken away as part of a conspiracy to deny dirt riders their rights - it's being taken away because we as a group are poor stewards of the land!

Time for us - as responsible riders - to start holding the minority yahoos responsible!

Carl Johansson

Yes I realize a bunch of you will do your best to "kill the Messenger", and that would be me! Keep it up - you make my point for me, instead of trying to fix the problem - you keep demonizing and belittling - thats a great way to win an argument and maintain your riding rights"

Does this affect the Allegheny National Forest?

I think over here on the West coast it wont matter as much, but over where you are, it might. I dont know the specifics. But i bet if you google it you can get an answer I hope it dosent though, no one should have their local areas closed.

Yes it will pass. No you will not loose your local trails or dunes. wilderness area is defined by lack of roads. If a road is in an area (even dirt logging roads for instance - it is not "wilderness".

unfortunately there is alot of fear mongering by individuals in this forum who are having a hard time dealing with the past elections, and this is their chosen fear tactic.

The truth is your "right to ride" on public land does not take precedence over anyone else s rights to that same public land. Abuse the privilege - cut across switchbacks, make a new trail, rut out a hill, scare a horseback rider, litter up an area, have loud drunken all night get together - all of these things impact the general public's perception of off road riders. And we are now getting rewarded for a few pigheaded idiots abuse of the public trust!

2.1 million acres is a drop in the bucket when you look at public owned land - and the vast majority of that land is open to responsible ORV use.

But keep acting like A**holes - and that land will be and is being taken away - a parcel at a time.

And no - it's not being taken away as part of a conspiracy to deny dirt riders their rights - it's being taken away because we as a group are poor stewards of the land!

Time for us - as responsible riders - to start holding the minority yahoos responsible!

Carl Johansson

Yes I realize a bunch of you will do your best to "kill the Messenger", and that would be me! Keep it up - you make my point for me, instead of trying to fix the problem - you keep demonizing and belittling - thats a great way to win an argument and maintain your riding rights"

please tell us what ohv areas have not been affected by land closure bills