CR250 Woods setup??

Hello all,

I just picked up a CR250 and would like some suggestions for making it a better woods bike.

The bike is basically stock except for a new set of bars. I put a full skid plate and bark buster on but that is it.

I rode this weekend and it was fine in the more open trails but it wore me out in the tight stuff. I noticed I was riding the clutch much more than I was used to on my thumper but I guess that is the nature of the beast.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. By the way I actually liked the feel of the stock suspension, I ride a lot of rock and the softer feel absorbed well.

David:ride:

How big is the rear sprocket? You may want to go up some teeth on the back for woods, that'll add a little more bottom end to it.

Some riders add a flywheel weight and a Rekluse clutch, which I understand is a variation on centrifugal.

That's about $600 total.

I was looking at a wide ratio transmission. From madman engineering for about $900, or replacement gears for somewhat less.

Go up 1 to 2 teeth up from stock on the rear sprocket and run a flywheel weight, total should run you about $250 and is the best bang for the buck. Also look into a fatty pipe and a set of reeds for more bottom end, but the sprocket and flywheel will bring you the most difference for the money.

The CR250 really isn't a great woods bike. I know because that's where I ride most often. I'm thinking about going up about 5 teeth on the rear sprocket. Don't see where that could hurt. The darned thing should still be plenty fast enough. If I didn't already have an FMF Fatty pipe on it I'd try an FMF Gnarly.

What I usually do now is ride my son's TT-R230 and let him ride my CR when we're in the woods. :) (He doesn't mind. He likes being able to blow by me on the dirt logging roads while I'm WFO and go :banghead: while he's doing it :banghead:.)

• Like 1

I think the CR250R needs very little to be an excellent woods bike. Go 49t or 50t sprockets, and get the jetting dialed (esp slow jet/airscrew for a crisp low end). I think suspension will help more than anything, if you can carry more speed everywhere you'll have less trouble with bogging/stalls, and you'll probably cut down on clutch work a bit too, which can be tiring.

I'm not convinced aftermarket pipes are much better than what Honda designed, but the Gnarly I have seems to work well and does add a little bottom. I've always resisted using flywheel weights, but I did just buy a Rekluse Pro-Z clutch, which is not yet installed. An 18" rear tire would be nice, but it's not necessary.

What Year?

the suspension shouldn't feel soft. Either the bike is over 4 years old, and has been ridden well, or you weigh more than the bike was designed for. If it's new maybe it's perfect for your weight.

If it's an older model, have the suspension revalved-

After that, if it's 2001 or older, you can put a flywheel weight on it to reduce the tendency of stalling, otherise ride it like you stole it.

-A

Hello all,

I just picked up a CR250 and would like some suggestions for making it a better woods bike.

The bike is basically stock except for a new set of bars. I put a full skid plate and bark buster on but that is it.

I rode this weekend and it was fine in the more open trails but it wore me out in the tight stuff. I noticed I was riding the clutch much more than I was used to on my thumper but I guess that is the nature of the beast.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. By the way I actually liked the feel of the stock suspension, I ride a lot of rock and the softer feel absorbed well.

I posted this in another thread.

I have an 03 that is a great woods bike with just bolt on parts...ya I wish I had a 6 speed trans but that's my only complaint.

I have ridden a 450-x, 250-x, converted crf 250-r, ktm 300-xcw, wr-250 and a kdx 200 on the same trail system and the CR is still my favorite and most fun to ride.

The flywheel is a must, try a boyesen or V-force cage, a Moose reed spacer, Gnarly pipe and a 50-t sprocket.

I have a 36mm airstriker carb that I think helped gain a little more bottom and toned down the hit even more and I also run a trials tire.

Suspension mods are also a must for anything more then jeep trails, far too harsh for roots and rocks.

I don't think a bore kit is a bad idea, I too thought about one but after getting some seat time I don't feel the need...I already have more than enough power, it lugs just fine and when things get slick and greasy the mildness down low allows the bikte to hook up better, I just have to finess the clutch and throttle once in a while.

Get it set up right and you'll love it!

Thanks for all the input.

By the way the bike is a 2001 and is truly mint. It even has the original tires on it. I bought it off the original owner and the bike had been in storage for over five years because the guy moved to the west coast and decided not to bring the bike and just leave it at his parents place.

I emailed him last night about the suspension because of one of the comments in the thread and he said it was revaulved for the woods the year he bought it. He really did nothing else because he lost interest and really stopped riding the bike for the most part. I am around 185lb with gear so I do not think I am too heavy for the machine and the guy I bought it off of looked to be about the same so maybe it is just right for me.

Everyone I spoke to has repeated what most have said, flywheel weight and sprocket so I will try both of them and go from there.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will post once I add the two items above and let you all know my thoughts.:)

I have the same bike. PC platium pipe, fmf turbine core, jd jet kit, clarke fuel cell, bark busters. I ride the woods only and most of it is tight technical stuff and some open woods, I love it a lot better then my CRF450X way lighter and more flickable, but I'm no little guy 6'3" 270.

I have the same bike, well it's a 2000 you have a mikuni carb and mine has the keihin. Depending how much $ you want to drop here is a list of positive mods for the woods.

53 tooth rear sprocket

large IMS fuel tank

some kind of barkbusters

v-force 3 reeds

powervalve spacer

fmf sst pipe with Q silencer or gnarly pipe for even more low end. The sst seems to be the best all around pipe.

The reeds and spacer really allow the motor to lug better and give great low end response for the occasional log hop etc.

Enjoy, these work great as woods bikes.

You got a GREAT bike. With some seat time and very little work you are gonna love that thing.

The '99 or '00 carb is the best thing you can do for your motor. Next would be a flywheel weight. I've tried reeds in my '00 motor, but honestly didn't notice much difference. I just put in some Moose steel clutch plates- I wish I would've done it much sooner. Very smooth engagement, way better disengagement for in-gear starting, and I'm guessing almost infinite life and the tranny oil will stay way cleaner. FMF Turbine Core II silencer/ spark arrestor and careful jetting and you're good to go.

The one non-performance thing I added to my bike is a TrailTech kickstand. Actually the first bike I put this on was my '02 450R. They've been on every bike I've had since then-- I won't be without one now. Get some radiator guards, a decent skid plate and a brake snake too.

There are a lot of great mods being mentioned here, but mike1 brought up a great one. ...a kick stand. I ended up getting the promotobillet one. It is around $60 bucks more than the trailtech one but has no spring to deal with. I didn't realize what a benefit not having to look for a tree or to find another bike to lean your bike up against would be. It is the best $150 spent. Remember to put a search on TT as this subject of a cr for woods riding has been brought

up multiple times. Check the TT garage too for ideas too. See what others have done with there crs or any other brand of bike for that matter. There isn't much needed anyway to use this for woods riding. It works fine. Steel clutch plates replacing the aluminum ones are great for adding flywheel weight and reducing metal shavings in your crankcase oil. Maybe add gearing, guards and a big tank maybe. :)

Power valve spacer doesn't do squat.

Ask 1987CR250R if he has ever used one . He hasn't but feels he has to inflict his views on all of us who have. weird... Be warned that some TT guys who have not used a part or a modification talk like they do. I don't know why. It makes sense to talk to the guys who have the same bike as you do and have tried the mods you ask about to get more accurate information.:)

Some of us are smart enough to not buy crap. Some people think power valve spacers have an effect. Some people think 2002 CR 250s have a weak motor. People think a lot of things. I don't attack people for thinking these things. But, if science can't prove it, then it ain't true in my book. Show me a dyno chart for your power valve spacer because I'm not about to waste money on one.

Some of us are smart enough to not buy crap. Some people think power valve spacers have an effect. Some people think 2002 CR 250s have a weak motor. People think a lot of things. I don't attack people for thinking these things. But, if science can't prove it, then it ain't true in my book. Show me a dyno chart for your power valve spacer because I'm not about to waste money on one.

I remember using a PV spacer (or Torq chamber they called it) on a few bikes back in the 80's and from what l can remember it it did make a difference that you could feel down low...it was modest but still there.

How it worked(s) sorry can't remember.

Put a search for: 2001 CR250 Mods

Type it exactly and you should get to some good mods for your bike. You have to scroll through the thread a bit.

There are some mx settings info from mxaction magazine for the 01 cr here . I figure most can be used for woods anyway.

Cheapest, super most awesom-est mod to do to this bike...makes it Way more ridable at low RPMS.

Just wanted to put that up-

A

I have the same bike. PC platium pipe, fmf turbine core, jd jet kit, clarke fuel cell, bark busters. I ride the woods only and most of it is tight technical stuff and some open woods, I love it a lot better then my CRF450X way lighter and more flickable, but I'm no little guy 6'3" 270.

Another big guy! I'm in the same boat. Got an rmz 250 as my first bike but now I want something lighter and faster. I have the funds for a yx250x so I might just do a trade in with my atv and go that path lol. What gear do ya run dude?