Numb hands, anyone else???????

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem? After riding just a little bit ( 5 laps) my hands start to go numb. I really concentrate to losening my death grip. I believe it is the ulna nerve.( the nerve that goes across your hand) I just wondering if I should change bars, settings? I do keep my elbows out, keep hydrated. I am in good physical condition.

I am riding an 06 yz450. Rg3 triple clamps. Any advise I would really appreciate it.

Do you lift big weights?(like max out bench press ect) That might have something to do with it.

If you change your settings around and all else comes to fail, i know a guy that actually got a certain surgery and had a nerve or something taken out in both of his arms. He used to get numb hands and arm pump, but now he doesn't get anything.

Just throwing it out there though. ?

My right hand will go numb on me, but only when I am racing and really pushing hard. If I am just play riding it does not seem to happen. I have traced my issue to a nerve in my shoulder (I think) as I have had my hand start to tingle occasionally when driving and I have my arm straight out with my hand at the 12:00 position on the steering wheel.

You might want to get checked for carpal tunnel syndrome. I had this problem and wore a brace for three weeks. Now I ride with an elastic wrist band on my throttle hand. No more issues for up to about 2 hours. After that I'm too tired to tell you if my hand is numb.

You guys a have alot of good ideas. I do lift weights, but I do alot of core exercises. ( my bodybuilding days are over) I don't want to do surgery. I noticed also that it is happening when training on my mountain bike. It is horriable, my cardio fitness is great, yet I can't hang on more than 5 laps. I will look into my delt ( shoulder) to see if my nerve is being pinched there.

Blackoaktree, What elastic band do you use? Again, I really want to thank everyone who has came me their opinion. It's funny, I noticed 88 veiws and only 5 replies. Their has to be more people that have this problem.

I raced a race in Nevada a couple weeks ago on my friends bike & had my hands go numb. The same thing happened last year in the same race with the same bike. Our bikes are the same bikes except the handlebars & grips. I can race my bike & never have this problem. Not sure why this happens, but my opinion is the different bars & grips

I would like to know about the elastic band also. At my age I just figure all my stuff is wore out. I only get it my right hand. Much worse on 2stroke but some on my 4 stroke too. I notice if I start short shifting and use less rpm I don't have a problem. Thats good if its wet and slick but too slow when traction is good.

Sounds like carpal tunnel. I have it and it bothers me sometimes. It's from working outdoors with saws and machines and basically breaking my ass. I even feel it on my road bike. The good thing is it forces you to rely on your legs to balance and squeeze. I am not bothered by it too much during mx if the legs are good.

I know what you mean about when the cardio is good anfd the body is spent.

My hands go numb while riding and it's not arm pump or death grip. It's not carpal tunnel since my pinkies go numb. I've figured it's a pinched nerve since I have some upper back and neck problems so I'm going to a different doc. Sometimes my hands do it from gripping the steering wheel on my car. It's weird. The tip of my nose even went numb once. Now that was annoying.

Whether this is the answer, I cannot say but this will def help: always grip the bike hard with your legs, it takes practice and willpower at first.

Think of your hands being used for controlling the bike, not for holding on. I cannot stress this enough. If you try to ride while standing without squeezing, your hands will take a beating and go numb even faster than sitting.

Add some traction tape on some frame protectors just above the foot pegs. Also, your tank graphics should be getting beat up if your squeezing correctly.

Can you, right now imagine how the seat/tank feels against the inside of your legs. If not, your not squeezing enough.

I have also found that tight gloves or even pulling the velcro thing tight will cause numbness.

Remember: as you twist the throttle, squeeze with your legs.

I really try to concentrate on squeezing with my legs and I also have grip tape. I will maybe to just relax more. Someone mentioned different bars and lever position. I think I will try another set of bars. I already have the protaper windam bend. Maybe another bend would be better. I noticed alot of pro bikes are running flatter bars than I have. I am wearing XL gloves, just so I don't restrict any blood flow.

I use to get numb hands when I would ride my back trails. I bought gloves and the problem went away; luckily I have it easy. Maybe you should try different gloves or maybe grip holds (holding weighted dumbbells) so you build a little more meet up on your hand, maybe That should help you. Then again I'm not a doctor.

I have this same problem, I switched to Flexx bars and its still there but not near as bad. I race harescrambles so im constantly hitting roots and other objects and these bars really helped me out, I was sceptical at first because of the price but they were well worth it. I really think mine is the beginning of carpel tunnel or the beginning of turning 40...or both.

I have been fighting this issue for years, my right hand goes numb during the haresramble races, makes working the brake very interesting. Went to see the doctor and he said I did not have carpal tunnel. So I started changing my bars and found that mine is reduced with the pro taper high woods bend bars and rubber mounted top triple clamp. My theory is that this bend doesn't put as much pressure on what ever nerve gives me the trouble.

I used to get numb hands even when riding trails. No forearm pump, I just get the feeling you get when you wake up after laying on your arms. I tried all sorts of things. Finally I quit lifting heavy weights. I now run, spin, take pilates, strength train, and mountain bike and but I no longer use heavy weights. It didn't go away over night. It took several months but I had given up on a fix and really didn't change anything else over that period of time. It could have been something else but I rode several different bikes with totally different setups over all types of terrain. This may not be true for anyone else but I really believe it helped me.