Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarting When Flooded

I took my X out over the weekend, flooded it and the battery died. My bike ususally starts very easy, pull the choke hit the button and viola! she's fired up, but this time i didn't pull the choke hit the button a few times, started to smell some gas and the battery died. I am a former XR650r (great bike) and I had a routine when starting the bike cold, hot or flooded. I kicked the X a few times (completely terrified of cracking the case while doing it) and nothing. Is there a routine similar to the XR650r for kickstarting the X?

I took my X out over the weekend, flooded it and the battery died. My bike ususally starts very easy, pull the choke hit the button and viola! she's fired up, but this time i didn't pull the choke hit the button a few times, started to smell some gas and the battery died. I am a former XR650r (great bike) and I had a routine when starting the bike cold, hot or flooded. I kicked the X a few times (completely terrified of cracking the case while doing it) and nothing. Is there a routine similar to the XR650r for kickstarting the X?

when the bike is COLD, u may either have to twist the throttle a few times before you start it or if it's very cold,twist the throttle a few times and then turn on the choke.

if the bike is not very hot then you can simply hit the e-start and it will fire up

when the bike is very hot, it will not start unless you pull in the hot start lever. reason being is that when the bike is very hot, it needs only very little gas to start. the hot start lever adds more air in the mix which is what you need when the bike is running hot and easy to flood...

*don't be afraid about using the kickstarter. the case cracks when you allow the lever to swing back at full force. if you kick down and leave your foot on the lever, you won't have a problem.

*i always have to use the hot start when i'm at the dunes

:)

Typical procedure for flooded bike:

- Gas off at tank

- hold in kill button

- throttle wide open

- kick 20 times or more (sometimes alot more)

- throttle closed and kill button released

- kick with NO THROTTLE until it starts

- gas back on

Never kick like you are trying to spin the motor faster. Kick it like you know it will start with one kick.

I never have used the hot start on my bike in the last 4 years. But, I am never in a hurry to restart it if it gets dropped either.

Ive always wondered about this, have run chain saws for years its a rather different procedure. Set the bar on a log, hold the throttle wide open with one hand, pull start with the other till she starts.

Being experienced at stalls and face plants I have nothing to add except to take your time. One thing that helps me is to get my left foot planted on some higher ground maybe a rock or stump. It helps me get the right leverage on the kick starter. Those things are too darn high for me and my limited flexibility especially when I'm hurt and tired.

Thanks guys this will help a lot next time. This is similar to the XR650r's workout routine.

The XR650r's routine was

1. Hold the kill switch

2. Hold the throttle wide open

3. Pull the compression release

4. Kick it 5-6 times

Step 5 would be to give it a good hard kick with no throttle. it would start most of the time.

As a side note my bike started right up today in the garage.

when the bike is COLD, u may either have to twist the throttle a few times before you start it or if it's very cold,twist the throttle a few times and then turn on the choke.

if the bike is not very hot then you can simply hit the e-start and it will fire up

when the bike is very hot, it will not start unless you pull in the hot start lever. reason being is that when the bike is very hot, it needs only very little gas to start. the hot start lever adds more air in the mix which is what you need when the bike is running hot and easy to flood...

*don't be afraid about using the kickstarter. the case cracks when you allow the lever to swing back at full force. if you kick down and leave your foot on the lever, you won't have a problem.

*i always have to use the hot start when i'm at the dunes

:)

Hey Ivan... the "twist of the wrist" squirts fuel from the carb... Something you didn't mention... and one reason to NOT twist open the throttle when starting a thumper on normal occasions.

... my bike starts hot, or cold... no twist, no hot-start needed. I only open the choke for a split second on cold start-up... and thats about it. Jetting, is spot on (for my needs). ...or really, isn't spot on as I don't need to operate the controls as intended (choke, hot-start...etc) from the factory.

Typical procedure for flooded bike:

- Gas off at tank

- hold in kill button

- throttle wide open

- kick 20 times or more (sometimes alot more)

- throttle closed and kill button released

- kick with NO THROTTLE until it starts

- gas back on

Never kick like you are trying to spin the motor faster. Kick it like you know it will start with one kick.

I never have used the hot start on my bike in the last 4 years. But, I am never in a hurry to restart it if it gets dropped either.

... theeee most important part!!! HOLD THE KILL BUTTON!!!!

If not, the burp you hear from your airbox could just be a leg warmer... or a fire ... One more reason to not remove the screen in your air-filter.

AND... if you can't tow your bike (being it's too sandy... or no strap... or whatever)... turn the bike upside down!!! Yes... upside down. Obviously right it before attempting to re-start it. :banghead: ... if it's a severe case... pull the spark plug, and turn'er over. (GAS OFF obviously - and make sure the bike is cooled down - for risk of fire).

Well Between Ivan and Kranny they have the basics to start hot or cold but it comes down to figuring out your own processon your bike. no two bikes start the same. Once you have it figured out, use and make changes depending on the weather, ie more or less blurps, choke on longer, no hot start etc. But the real key is having your x JETTED correctly. I never use the kicker cuz im vertically challenged and the button works 100% of the time. and when it wont be patient!