Sign in to follow this  

Mammoth Bar 3/22?

Has anyone been up to Mammoth Bar in the last week or two. I would like to head up there on Sunday and ride. How are the conditions? I have never been up there before and I am a beginner. Are there any trails you reccomend for beginners to intermediate? Basically I dont wanna kill myself. I will probably go riding with my buddy or my gf who are both intermediate riders.

Trail Map I am guessing there are many more trails but these are the main ones. If I had to guess, the staging area would be towards the bottom left corner of the map where it says Foresthill Road next to the "Stonewall" trail.

Mammoth Bar sound like it will be perfect for you. Short, easy trails and a simple MX track. Great for learning etc. The trails tend to get pretty beat but mammoth bar still tends to draw a lot of people to the park. Nothing there is technical or real difficult at all but if you want just a real, non-stressful day of riding, thats a good cheap place:thumbsup: :)

Murderers Gulch and Rock Garden can offer you a challenge. Ride those 1st when you're fresh. Justin is right, everything else is rather easy. There are also some other challenging spots if you know where to look.

I'll be in a white Tacoma with an orange pumpkin in the back. Look for me in the afternoon. That place is so small, the entire park can be ridden in 2 hours. :)

I rode a TT125 when I was 15. Brings me back! :banghead:

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I will probably get out there around 9 in order to get a few hours in before the large croud shows up. Thanks for the tips on certain trails. It would be nice to get more of a challenge than prairie city....

That map looks like it shows the majority of the trails. Pay close attention to how those trails cross the topo lines - there are some substantial elevation changes. I think you'll find plenty there to challenge you, particularly as beginning/intermediate riders. If you're a beginner, try taking River Bar from the staging area over to the Hoosier trail and up. It's a fairly long moderately steep climb to the top, about 600 vertical feet of climbing. From there, you can ride out Squaw Flat to Castle Rock and back down. That's just about a 5 mile loop but it will give you a sense of whether you want to try any of the more difficult trails.

Does anyone know when they groom the MX track?

I think on Thursday or Friday. Don't get your hopes up though. The track was

designed by a retard. There are random jumps and drop offs with no landings.

The one nice table is nearly impossible to clear because you can't get any speed

out of the corner. The other table by the river is alright...but still sucks.

That map looks like it shows the majority of the trails. Pay close attention to how those trails cross the topo lines - there are some substantial elevation changes. I think you'll find plenty there to challenge you, particularly as beginning/intermediate riders. If you're a beginner, try taking River Bar from the staging area over to the Hoosier trail and up. It's a fairly long moderately steep climb to the top, about 600 vertical feet of climbing. From there, you can ride out Squaw Flat to Castle Rock and back down. That's just about a 5 mile loop but it will give you a sense of whether you want to try any of the more difficult trails.

Thanks for the heads up on the trails. I will certainly give that loop a shot and make a note on how it compares to my skill level. :)

I think on Thursday or Friday. Don't get your hopes up though. The track was

designed by a retard. There are random jumps and drop offs with no landings.

The one nice table is nearly impossible to clear because you can't get any speed

out of the corner. The other table by the river is alright...but still sucks.

I hoping this will change soon. They just hired a new ranger in Jan, with lot's o' OHV/dirtbike experience (he rides). Expect better/more accurate trail maps (I'm working with him on a GPS project), and better quality trails/maintenance. Until recently, some of the rangers that "patrolled" the area had no OHV training. Mammoth Bar is a special place because it's not a typical OHV park, it is a special zone in a State Rec Area, so the Rangers have a huge non-OHV area to patrol.

This also comes with a warning. The new ranger has told me he is tired of people poaching trails and making new ones illegally, and just doing stupid things. Expect more policing, but I guess if you're not doing anything dumb, he's a pretty cool guy. I rode my mountain bike out there a couple months ago on a Monday, and about half the trails I was on were severely damaged from poaching. They had closed a couple trails because of it.

I hoping this will change soon. They just hired a new ranger in Jan, with lot's o' OHV/dirtbike experience (he rides). Expect better/more accurate trail maps (I'm working with him on a GPS project), and better quality trails/maintenance. Until recently, some of the rangers that "patrolled" the area had no OHV training. Mammoth Bar is a special place because it's not a typical OHV park, it is a special zone in a State Rec Area, so the Rangers have a huge non-OHV area to patrol.

This also comes with a warning. The new ranger has told me he is tired of people poaching trails and making new ones illegally, and just doing stupid things. Expect more policing, but I guess if you're not doing anything dumb, he's a pretty cool guy. I rode my mountain bike out there a couple months ago on a Monday, and about half the trails I was on were severely damaged from poaching. They had closed a couple trails because of it.

I never poach trails...but I am guilty of going the wrong direction up that

singletrack type trail with the switchbacks. Sucks that is directional. Going up

is just as fun as going down.

I think that track has decent potential. I thought it was suppose to be good

when they spent all that money on rebuilding it. It is just as dangerous with

all those terrible jumps with no landings.

Oh well....at least it is good for a photo shoot.

MammothBar012-1.jpg

I've seen as many as 3 ranger trucks in the stagging area at one time. Their main concern was the $5 entrée fee. If you didn't pay the charge I think the ticket was in the $100's.

I've seen firetrucks, ambulances, highway patrol, and a helicopter. That spot can get rather busy. I think the track has seen it's share of accidents.

I personally wish more trails were one-way there. I've had more than a few close calls. :banghead:

I sound like the harbinger of doom. I'm not. Just be forewarned. :) Ride cautiously and you'll be fine. This OHV is not as big as Prairie City but you'll find more than a few hill climbs!

Hey. ill be up at mammoth sunday too. look for the White Tundra TRD with the white CRF250 and either a little suzuki or a 150r. Let me know! Robert. look forward to riding with you