Sign in to follow this  

Best Reeds?

I've heard a lot of people talk about the different kind of Reeds out there and I'm just wondering what everyone thinks is the best. In my opinion I like the V-Force, what about you?:)

i know its not a bike but i have a set of v-force 2s on my jetski and i like em alot. the only other thing i have to compare them to is the stock reeds on the stock cages and a set of carbontech reeds on the stock cages.

I am planning on getting a set of v-force for my cr250. Hope they have the same durability as the ones on my jetski.

I've been racing two stroke outboard hydros for 28 years this year. I've tried all kinds of reeds. The Boysen two stage reeds aren't bad. If anything they made my motors a little easier to start but I can't say that I noticed a performance improvement (top speed or off of the turns). The motors that I race come with stainless reeds. I run some kind of plastic reed that I buy from the guy that I use to bore my motors just because they don't hurt anything when they break and go through the motor. If a stainless reed goes through the motor it ruins stuff. Don't expect a big performance improvement from just changing reed material. If the reed cage is a bottleneck and you are able to increase it's area then you may see a performance increase. The reed cage is not really a big bottleneck on my motors. Both turn ~ 5500 RPMs in stock "fishing motor" form. My 30 inch motor turns a little over 9,000 RPM and my 44 inch motor turns right at 8,400 RPMs in race configuration (stroke is the same - bore is main difference). I am pretty much at the design limits of these old cross flow (not loop charged) motors. i.e. Right at the edge of melt down. I have a 50 inch loop charged motor that I'm building (for a different class) and have a set of Boysen two stage reeds that I'll be using in it. Only reeds I could find that aren't metal is the only reason that I bought them - I don't expect any performance improvement.

scan00092.jpg