Sign in to follow this  

Wiring for a 200

I just picked up a 2000 200EXC. The PO took off the headlight because he said it 'robbed horsepower'. After I got it home I tried putting the headlight on, and it didn't work. The wiring looks kinda funky. The headlight unit has a bullet shaped plugin with 3 prongs, and the bike has the same bullet shaped plug, but there is only two wires going into it. Whats up with this? Also there is two wires with B shaped connectors that don't plug into each other and have no obvious use, anyone know what these are for?

BTW-Off topic but how does this 2000 compare to the newer 200s? Anything that the older bikes are missing out on?

Seriously, no one can help here? In short-there are three wires on the plug in on the headlight, while only two on the plug on the bike. Is this right?

That is correct. Ktm's have a high and low beam in the headlight but the USA bikes only have an on off switch so one wire is not needed.

IMO the biggest flaw in the 2000 bikes is the suspension. The newer bikes are far better.

on my 03 there are two different plug-ins. one for the head light and one for blinkers (if i remeber right). you sure you plugged into the right plug. they should be keyed but you never know.

+1 on getting your suspension working right for your weight and ability.

Those two connectors need a switch plugged into them. Without out it the circuit is open and you get no headlight. Stock was a push pull switch that plugs into the other two connectors to complete the circuit.

Thanks, sounds like I need to head down to the local KTM dealership and figure the rest out, good to hear what is right!

Is there any changes in the motor from the old 200s to the new ones?

You can bypass the switch and wire them direct. The light will always come on when the bike is running, though.

Thanks, sounds like I need to head down to the local KTM dealership and figure the rest out, good to hear what is right!

Is there any changes in the motor from the old 200s to the new ones?

They have made minor tweaks to the engine/pipe/carb/ignition over the years, nothing earth shattering though, still pretty much the same great performance they have always had. The big differences have been in the frame and suspension. For me, I first noticed a big difference in handling in 06, a little better in 07, again in 08 and now my 09 is the best I've owned and I've had 'em all from 99 to 09.

The changes from year to year have been subtle, but from your 2000 to a current model you'd notice a big difference.

David