Sign in to follow this  

Sports and Dirtbikes

I will start off saying I am avid motorcycle enthusiast, I love bikes. More so dirt than strreet. But all have a purpose and are fun in each it's own way.

I never played ball sports as a kid. Just never interested me in any way shape or form, in fact I think they are quite boring.

In stead I lurked, for a chance to steal my brothers trail 90 (1968), then his 160 scrambler, 305 etc. My dad would work on our 59 Ford and I loved to watch and hand him tools. I like washing cars, detailing them and doing routine maintenance. Bikes much more so. I think that dakar and the baja are the toughest races in the world. Motorcross is fast and scary, enduro's atest of rider and machine. I love them all. baseball ? yawn......... football ? zzzzzzzzzzzz. I just don't like nor have I ever been a ball sports peron.

YET! everyday I hear this guy traded for that guy blah blah blah at work. To each is his own is defintely in my book. apparently not thiers, as they say that riding a bike is not a sport and it is easy. Obvious bias. I agree not a sport - does not seem like it is one. But to do it well is not easy by any means and you do have to be in pretty good shape / health to be competetive anyway.

I guess I am that 10% tor less that just does not get it. Football, baseball, basketball, do absolutely nothing for me. yet it is thrown at you in every venue avaiable, paper, TV etc.

Oh well ... I am staying on my own course and speed no matter how odd some may think it is that I don't care about "ball sports". :)

• Like 1

yep, todays sports are over run with WAY overpaid, steroid using whiners that act like they can do whatever they want, on or off the field and or court.

I will start off saying I am avid motorcycle enthusiast, I love bikes. More so dirt than strreet. But all have a purpose and are fun in each it's own way.

I never played ball sports as a kid. Just never interested me in any way shape or form, in fact I think they are quite boring.

In stead I lurked, for a chance to steal my brothers trail 90 (1968), then his 160 scrambler, 305 etc. My dad would work on our 59 Ford and I loved to watch and hand him tools. I like washing cars, detailing them and doing routine maintenance. Bikes much more so. I think that dakar and the baja are the toughest races in the world. Motorcross is fast and scary, enduro's atest of rider and machine. I love them all. baseball ? yawn......... football ? zzzzzzzzzzzz. I just don't like nor have I ever been a ball sports peron.

YET! everyday I hear this guy traded for that guy blah blah blah at work. To each is his own is defintely in my book. apparently not thiers, as they say that riding a bike is not a sport and it is easy. Obvious bias. I agree not a sport - does not seem like it is one. But to do it well is not easy by any means and you do have to be in pretty good shape / health to be competetive anyway.

I guess I am that 10% tor less that just does not get it. Football, baseball, basketball, do absolutely nothing for me. yet it is thrown at you in every venue avaiable, paper, TV etc.

Oh well ... I am staying on my own course and speed no matter how odd some may think it is that I don't care about "ball sports". :)

couldn't agree with you more:thumbsup: I played football, soccer, wrestling in school and didnt get anywhere near the enjoyment I do from mx. I dont really hear that mx is easy from anyone but If I did I would promply correct them. I think the only football game I actually watch is the superbowl(for the commercials). And base ball is probably the most boring sport ever made.

riding is definitely a sport. it takes athleticism, endurance, and grace.

but other sports are great too. i happen to love baseball, basketball, football, track, auto racing, mx....whatever. all sports have something to offer. just because we don't understand them, and don't enjoy watching them - doesn't mean they aren't great.

it's all about what you and other people enjoy. all sports have merit.

riding is definitely a sport. it takes athleticism, endurance, and grace.

but other sports are great too. i happen to love baseball, basketball, football, track, auto racing, mx....whatever. all sports have something to offer. just because we don't understand them, and don't enjoy watching them - doesn't mean they aren't great.

it's all about what you and other people enjoy. all sports have merit.

I totally agree, I just get defensive when I hear dirtbiking made fun of, like it is for idiots.

That's cause they don't understand the difference between a quad and a bike.

It's quite simple actually, quad has four wheels, bikes have two.

I understand, it's easy to confuse, like a baseball and a softball sort of look the same, so the game's the same, right?

yep, todays sports are over run with WAY overpaid, steroid using whiners that act like they can do whatever they want, on or off the field and or court.
One of the reasons I don't watch much professional sports.
I think the only football game I actually watch is the superbowl(for the commercials).
I spend the vast majority of the super bowl in the kitchen. I'd rather cook and eat than watch that. Commercials or not.

there's a difference between "stick and ball sports", and "sports". Stick and Ball sports are what you see on prime time ESPN. Regular sports are what you see on ESPN8, "The Ocho". Stick and Ball sports create ratings, while sports create sweat and competition.

NASCAR: many consider it to be a sport, but I think we can all agree it doesn't take a svelt body type to run a car in circles (Tony Stewart, Ricky Bobby).

Hunting: A sport? Hardly, if your definition of a sport includes "two equally matched teams"

The moral of the story? It doesn't really matter to me if someone says what I do is a sport or not, or whether it's "hard" or not.

:)

I totally agree, I just get defensive when I hear dirtbiking made fun of, like it is for idiots.

Well, what idiots say aren't worth my time... When somebody says somehting idiotic, I usually just laugh it off and say "good for you, I'm glad I don't have to ride with you."

i can understand frustration when dealing with people that don't understand our passion for riding. truth is, riding a dirtbike is a sport that can be done at a high and low level. it's great and we all love it.

same can be said about all other sports. people have passion for the sport they love. it's great. i love watching pro sports (even though they are overpaid) college sports, and motorsports. I enjoy seeing competition at a high level. it's a lot of fun, and it's highly entertaining for a lot of people.

for some folks, seeing a supercross event would be dull - they could say that the guy who gets to the holeshot usually win. we know that isn't the case and most of us really enjoy it. they don't see the intricases of the race, or the battles for 5th and 6th like we do.

i guess what i'm trying to say is this: enjoy your sports, and ignore everyone who doesn't get it. love what you do :)

Hunting: A sport? Hardly, if your definition of a sport includes "two equally matched teams"

Especially how they hunt white tail, real hunting involves walking a mountain, not sitting around next to a lure all day

• Like 1

It is pretty frustrating to deal with people who don't know/understand your sport or the dedication it takes to be good at riding. I enjoy regular sports but I'm a motorcycle guy. If I'm riding..... I'm happy. :)

Even tho my cousin played on the winning team in superbowls, I never watched. Personally I could careless about most team and individual sports, but I do like watching baseball for the first half of the season then boredom sets in.

I would rather be riding once the snow melts, street is great so is dirt. I am not a racer have no desire to be, I enjoy the good ride. I like watching mx along with superbikes racing all over the world on tv.

I think I have a little motor oil in my blood.

:thumbsup:

First off I must say I like dirt bikes 100x more than I do playing sports because its way more fun and I can work on them when I can't play. But I also play lacrosse and I'm not sure how big it is where some off you are from but it is pretty big where I'm at. I love playing it and I'm pretty good, and I'm a team captain. Now I must say since lacrosse is really becoming a big sport its a lot different from stuff like pro football. For instance, all of my coaches are only in their 20's because not a lot of older people ever played it. And one more thing I can say is that it is a lot more fun than other sports I've tried because most of the coaches are laid back during practice, unless we start doing something stupid, and they never get really mad at a kid if he messes up a play like I have seen in other sports. If you never seen a game you might check it out some of you guys might like it.

Thats all I have to say and if I start getting in more practice on my bike this year I might not play lacrosse next year and start doing some racing.

:thumbsup:

Jesse

I have played quite a few sports. Cant say they were even close to as enjoyable as twistin the throttle on the dirt or street. I get a lot of negative input from people when they hear or find out I ride a sport bike. (I hate when the term bullet bike or crotch rocket is used. I find my self correcting them with the term sport bike.) They tell me everytime, you are going to get injured on it. I love to fill them in on the fact that soccer holds the most injuries per year then any other sports including football, baseball, bla bla bla. Motorsports are so far at the bottom of the list it is funny to constantly get this "talk" of how I need to be careful. I really dont feel like getting into that whole conversation.

Challenging yourself on a dirt bike does great things for you. I can boost your self confidence, which can be pretty important for some people. In all the sports I have played, trying to hold a steady pace and still maintain in controll while riding a track/trail is hands down the most intense work out I have ever done. I cant memic this sort of work out in a gym or with any equipment. Im sure some of you know exactly what I am talking about. It just cannot be duplicated!

I have played quite a few sports. Cant say they were even close to as enjoyable as twistin the throttle on the dirt or street. I get a lot of negative input from people when they hear or find out I ride a sport bike. (I hate when the term bullet bike or crotch rocket is used. I find my self correcting them with the term sport bike.) They tell me everytime, you are going to get injured on it. I love to fill them in on the fact that soccer holds the most injuries per year then any other sports including football, baseball, bla bla bla. Motorsports are so far at the bottom of the list it is funny to constantly get this "talk" of how I need to be careful. I really dont feel like getting into that whole conversation.

Challenging yourself on a dirt bike does great things for you. I can boost your self confidence, which can be pretty important for some people. In all the sports I have played, trying to hold a steady pace and still maintain in controll while riding a track/trail is hands down the most intense work out I have ever done. I cant memic this sort of work out in a gym or with any equipment. Im sure some of you know exactly what I am talking about. It just cannot be duplicated!

Thats what I find funny, my team in lacrosse has caused and had more injuries than I see or hear about riding. People think riding is dangerous, but I broken kids wrists playing lacrosse, I'll hit their stick and it'll slide into their wrist and if they don't have gloves that fit right its more likely to happen.

Ball sports. I don't get it either. Did anyone else see that article in the latest Dirt Rider, by a guy in his late 40's, from a family of stuntmen? He basically said that he could train anyone that is good at motocross to be a good stuntman. Because of the quick reflexes and great hand eye coordination. He also said he has trained top players from ball sports and they just couldn't do it. Interesting...