How do I use safety wire?

I'm finally getting ready to install new bars on my DRZ. I'm reading about using safety wire for the grips but I haven't seen anywhere that explains the process. I'm really not understanding where the wire goes and what I do with it. Can somebody help me out? Do I really need the safety wire if I use grip glue?

Also, do I need to buy the safety wire pliers that I'm seeing for sale?

Thanks for the help.

wrap them around your grips tight and twist the ends to grap the grip even tighter with needle nose pliers. Once the grips are secure just cut some of the twisted part off but leave a few twists. I than took a hammer to the twisted ends and made flush into the grip. you may have to check by grab'g the grip to make sure it doesn't catch your finger or gloves.

wrap them around your grips tight and twist the ends to grap the grip even tighter with needle nose pliers. Once the grips are secure just cut some of the twisted part off but leave a few twists. I than took a hammer to the twisted ends and made flush into the grip. you may have to check by grab'g the grip to make sure it doesn't catch your finger or gloves.

So the wire goes on the outside of the grip? Doesn't it cut through the rubber? Do you do this across the whole grip or just at the ends?

I'll also check out the YouTube videos. Thanks for the tip.

If you have a harbor freight near you, you can pick up safety wire pliers for cheap. They also sell different sizes of safety wire. I'm a complete safety wire junky! All of my bikes have been track legal, even though I only ride on the street.

It takes a bit to pick up the skill, but it is a really great one to have. As for your grips, you don't NEED it on there. Grip Glue will be fine. It's really easy to safety wire grips on though.

I like .032 stainless safety wire. It is easier to work with than smaller dia wire. I use safery wire on both ends of both grips. Many grips have a safety wire groove. I use 2 wraps (720 deg) of wire at each location. Standard plyers, twist, pull to tighten, twist, repeat, clip off about 1/4" long, fold into the grip. The safety wire seals the grip to the bar so water does not get between the grip and the bar allowing it to twist or slide.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=70865

On this pic of my new bar setup you can see 2 black lines on each grip. After putting the grips on and using safety wire (silver line toward flare part of each grip) I realized these lines were probably for the wire.

I bought the MSR wire pliers and wire off TT store, kind of neat - you lock the pliers on the ends of the two wires (like a twist tie on loaf of bread) and pull on the knob in the center and it twirls the pliers twisting the wire nice and tight. It has a cutter and then use the handle to tap the free ends down. Nice tool.

4813__0.jpgmsr.jpg

• Like 1

Safely....?

Thanks to everyone for the help, except MadMeador. :banghead: (that was actually pretty funny) I think I understand how it works now and will use it on my new setup at least to keep the water out as was mentioned.

Thanks for the pic Goebz, I always think the nice black bars look so good. I can't wait to have my own.

I use both grip glue and safety wire ... can never have the grips too secure! I use double strands of grip wire, twist (using pliers) to secure so it 'sinks' into the grip but not so tight it cuts in, cut off the excess and tap the twisted cut off part into the grip. I make sure the cut end is facing towards me - least chance of damaging gloves.

Works for me.

Andrew.