Sign in to follow this  

Athena Big Bore...?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you think about the Athen 280CC big Bore kit. I've heard that it makes the bike less reliable and not as strong...for those of you that have it... was it worth $800.00....? Thats a lot of money.

Thanks guys

Yikes! $800.00 try shopping Lukes racing or fleabay. $550-625 tops.

watch out, My lukes racing kit had a small hole in the casting and also a dent on the mating suface. I do not rate their customer service very high.....When you mail order stuff this expensive from small time outfits your sticking your neck out a little.

So do you guys like them...? Are they worth it.. does it compromise the life and reliability of the bike...?

I have about 14 hours on the Athena 280...so far so good. I did my research before buying , and I did not come across one single comment about negative reliability, so I am not sure where you heard that and the facts behind such a statement. I paid around $600 on eBay. It does give bike more umph down low and mid range. The front end lifts more easily and the bike pulls noticably harder. Perhaps a minor increase in vibes, but so small it might be my imagination. It doesn't transform the bike into a 450, so your expectations must be measured. I did it because this is my 4th season on the bike and I wanted a change, but didn't want to spend the dough on an all-new bike. Very happy thus far, and I've only ridden it 5 times. I think the real difference will be noticable in the woods this summer.

I have over 179 hours on mine. I have replaced the piston once, when I installed an r head at 100 hours, valves finally needed to be replaced. I also have a stage 1 hot cam and fmf power bomb and can. The thing rocks. I can stay with the 450's in a drag race until we get on top of third gear and then they begin to pull away. I change the oil and filter at 10 hours and I really stay on top of cleaning my air filter. I'd highly recommend it. This bike is a woods demon!

I was just told by a mechanic who is also a friend of mine that the bike will run incredibly hot, and it is just going to creat a bunch more problems.... :/

The main thing I am really wondering is if I am going to be compromising performance for long term reliability....? Will I have more maintenance to do with this kit... more things to worry about..?

Thank you!

A big bore kit will give you more bottom and mid. Allowing you to short shift the bike. You wont have to wring it out all the way the get power out of it, thus prolonging valve and bore life. The water jackets are larger than stock allowing for better cooling. In the end you will have a stronger 250 but it is still going to be a 250. I have the athena. It is no match to a 450 or a 250smoke but it is all around a better bike than the stock 250x (imho). If I was 18 again. I would save my money for college or univ....in the end it will pay and you WONT reget that investment...just my 2 cents

Ride on

Thats great advice. I have a lot of money saved for college. I just am looking for more power! I want to be able to beat my buddies 250R!

I smoke him either way but I was talking about a straight line drag race. He's all talk lol.

I was wondering if it shortens engine life and specifically the life of your crankshaft. You guys with over 100 hours, have you replaced your crank yet? I been thinking about doing the athena but, I'm at 100 hours or over and was thinking of doing the crank first. Just to be safe.:)

Yeah I can just see it creating more problems for some reason... ? :/ I am thinking that the people that told me that it is bad to bore out, they were thinking that I was talking about boring out the original cylinder, and not buying a whole kit...?

Had my Athena for awhile. well worth the the coin. I got my from Lukes Racing. The firs kit had plating issues, but they sent me out a replacement with no problems.

I think it is smart of you to do the crank before the big bore. I'm looking at the same thing. For sure the increased piston weight will add additional stresses to the rod and crank. The laws of physics apply equally to engines as well as old bodies.

hola:

I wear the athena kid for a year.

The biggest problem is the intake valves, 0.01 mm for hour.

Greetings.

The main thing I am really wondering is if I am going to be compromising performance for long term reliability....? Will I have more maintenance to do with this kit... more things to worry about..?

Thank you!

I've ridden two different 250X's with the Athena kit installed. Both bikes ripped. The torque increase is very noticeable.

One of the bikes is still running the big bore - 2nd season, no problems at all.

The other was returned to stock with the last valve replacement - switched back to Ti from SS valves. Owner felt it was better for very tight single trail/woods riding.

I may buy the used kit - IF he'll sell it! :)