SSW MRD vs. FMF Q2 + Power bomb

I have a quick question for you guys: I am going to order my pipe today, but i'm very conflicted. I ride 100% street (SM) and some days noise will be an issue and other days I can go loud as I dare. I cant decide between SSW MRD pipe with occasional quiet insert use or FMF Q2 with power bomb..

I have a 440 with cams/valves on the way from Eddie, so I need to decide today. I thought I might ask here because otherwise I am just going to flip a coin ?

Will the quiet core in the SSW pipe make it tolerable for 5 hour rides at 70mph?

If your spending the same amount of $$$ with the FMF system, you might as well get the MRD.

Yes, there's about 2-3 dB noticeable difference with the quiet insert.

And, as someone's already mentioned, earplugs are most recommended for loooong highway rides. ?

I had to get used to earplugs. I still forget to use them, and only 1/2 of the foam earplugs. I can't stand not hearing anything around me completely.:banghead:

Do you need the extra power?

Do you live in an area with close neighbors who are going to complain?

Do you want to have a loud bike?

I honestly think that in the next several years there are going to be a lot more noise enforcement.

Well, let me phrase it this way: Would a SSW with quiet core still be quite a bit louder than the Q2? It seems that the SSW is a better price than the Q2 and Power Bomb combo

I have done quite a bit of searching and don't really have a way of comparing, because quiet core users are seemingly rare

Well, let me phrase it this way: Would a SSW with quiet core still be quite a bit louder than the Q2? It seems that the SSW is a better price than the Q2 and Power Bomb combo

The PB/Q2 combos, at least at our local enduros and trail rides always pass the 96dB test.

I doubt the SSW with potato will pass the 96dB test as I have spoken with Dave at MRD in the past about hitting the 96dB mark. At that time even his regular MRD pipe would not meet 96dB. And the SSW is a more open pipe....

I use the MRD/SSW pipe & it's loud with the quite core. When I'm riding with the quite core I can't tell a difference in sound, but I do miss the instant rev. I can't explain how awesome this pipe is without the insert. My bike hits the rev limiter very quick.?

If you want to be quite, then use your stock exhaust.

I use the MRD/SSW pipe & it's loud with the quite core. When I'm riding with the quite core I can't tell a difference in sound, but I do miss the instant rev. I can't explain how awesome this pipe is without the insert. My bike hits the rev limiter very quick.?

If you want to be quite, then use your stock exhaust.

It's hard to tell the difference with or w/out the quiet insert without having 2 bikes side by side.

With the quiet insert in, the exhaust has higher note than no insert. No deep, low rumble sound.

Wow it just doesnt sound quite the same with the quiet insert, does it? Seems higher pitched

Yep.....All though the meter reading is lower.....the sound is higher pitch....Harsher if you wish. Bottom line.... It is loud....Made for max performance....?:banghead:

Erling

i have a Q2 on my drz400e and it isnt to loud when you just thump along the trails or street but as soon as you hit the dirt and hammer it, it ill make some noise. performance wise i did notice a good boost from stock tho i dont have a power bomb YET. but overall im happy with it, i got it for a killer price 235 OTD!