Sign in to follow this  

S. San Rafael Swell riding Mar 28, and maybe the 29th

I am going to be heading down to ride on Sat the 28th. Current plans are to camp at Goblin Valley S.P. on Friday night, and then on Saturday the 28th Ride the Blue, Orange, Green, VJ (if open), and Waterfall trails specifically... I think I will pass on the red trail this time around. Extra time we will use up by putting around behind the reef or to the confluence of the Muddy.

Plans 'could' change to either 10mile/WW or the devils racetrack loop... but I think we will stick with the Dick Brass Trails system. We want to explore this area a bit.

Tag-a-longs are always welcome... it will be my first time riding in this specific area.

Sunday the 29th is optional for us, we'll see how we feel Sat night :)

-Brandon

My plans right now are to ride the swell that weekend. I would like to hook up and ride those trails. I would most likely camp at Motel 6 in Green River Friday and Sat Night. Right now I waiting for confirmation from a guy that may go with me. If he bails I may be looking for someone to come along and share transpo and room costs. I have room for 2 other riders if he bails.

I am pretty sure that the people who are coming down with me do not want to try the red trail (5MoH)... they keep whining about how it could break their bike and make the trip not worth it yadda yadda... so we will just stick to all the other trails in the area.

I'll keep this thread updated as the weekend approaches.

AP, my kids and I just repainted the Red Trail last week. It needs some tracks on that shinney new paint.

Ophir, Thanks for all your work and updates and all the other behind the scenes stuff that you do to keep that area so nice for the rest of us.:):banghead:

I still need to pinpoint the waterfall trail on a map somewhere.. I know the area its in.. but I need to see it on a map I think this is the start if someone could verify it for me:

WaterfallTrail.jpg

I have a Nat Geo map of the Swell that shows the Water Fall trail. But I have never ridden the trails in that area. If some one that knows dosen't chime in by the time I get home from work. Ill break out the map and try to determine if you have the right spot. I have a way point for the west entrance that I created using the Nat Geo map and Google Earth. But it's on my home computer.

I was searching around and found that the Waterfall trail is Crack Canyon, or at least its NW drainage that flows into the Crack Canyon trailhead that cuts through the reef. That makes it easier for me to find now, since that is the name I am familiar with in the area.

So now I just need to get a plan together of how to loop these trails together?

Ride up the Waterfall trail? or down it?

Run clockwise or counterclockwise on VJ Trail, Green, Blue, Orange?

Ride waterfall first? or the Green, Blue Orange, VJ loop first? we will be staging from Goblin Valley S.P.

With the group I am going with I am sure they would appreciate going the direction that has the least degree of difficulty.

This is my best attempt to locate the waterfall trail... could someone please verify the trailhead locations I have marked?

South Trailhead = 38°38'35.63"N X 110°44'44.81"W

NW Trailhead = 38°42'12.67"N X 110°44'4.58"W

WaterfallTrailMaybe.jpg

I have always riden Waterfall trail from the bottom - up. From that southern point the first 5 or so miles is wash riding. The top is fantastic.

My favorite colored trail loop is to start at Red, turn right at Blue, follow to Green, then Orange and out around Temple Mtn. to main road that takes you to Waterfall trail. But one year my buddies GF was with us so we rode Green, a bit of Orange, then the Blue trail. She rode the road back to camp, and we went up to Lone Man parking lot and rode Red, Orange, then over to Waterfall. This worked well because Green and Blue are good warm-up runs to Orange and Red. It also gives everyone an idea of how they are feeling about their riding. Have Fun.

Hey commando, if you see a lame slow old guy and a hot chick on ktm 2-strokes, that'll be us. We're tentatively planning to park close to the hwy by exit 131 for a night or 2 and ride the dick brass trails (inc 5moh) on saturday on our way to moab.

I don't know much about the trails, except that I rode waterfall and the colored trails and 5moh 4-5 years ago, so I'm certain I can easily find them all again.

Hey commando, if you see a lame slow old guy and a hot chick on ktm 2-strokes, that'll be us. We're tentatively planning to park close to the hwy by exit 131 for a night or 2 and ride the dick brass trails (inc 5moh) on saturday on our way to moab.

I'll make sure to bring my tow rope so I can help your KTMs off the trails with my DRZ :) actually I am jealous about how light your bikes will be compared to mine.

I don't know much about the trails, except that I rode waterfall and the colored trails and 5moh 4-5 years ago, so I'm certain I can easily find them all again.

I am fine finding the South Trailhead of Waterfall Trail now.. so I will probably start from that end... I am hoping that the map I drew accurately shows the other trailhead on the NW point. Although I am not sure about the NW trailhead location marker on my map... it could possibly be further NW... I need someone to verify it

Once we pop out onto Temple Mtn Rd. do we head NW up around temple mtn rd to get to the blue trail or do we head down SE Temple Mtn road and find the VJ trail? Which way is closer to get into the system?

This is my best attempt to locate the waterfall trail... could someone please verify the trailhead locations I have marked?

South Trailhead = 38°38'35.63"N X 110°44'44.81"W

NW Trailhead = 38°42'12.67"N X 110°44'4.58"

Looking at my map. You have the trail heads in the correct spot. But your track misses a loop through "Chute Canyon" It's to the West of the NW trail head. Again, Looking at my map the trail looks to briefly go North from the NW trail head then west. Then South through Chute Canyon. Then back East to meet up with track you drew. Your track error is between the NW trail head and Flat Top.

After looking twice. I think your cords for the NW trail head are about a half mile off. This is what I came up with using my map and Google Earth. I hope someone who knows for sure can chime in.

38°41'33.68"N 110°44'22.04"W

Looking at my map. You have the trail heads in the correct spot. But your track misses a loop through "Chute Canyon" It's to the West of the NW trail head. Again, Looking at my map the trail looks to briefly go North from the NW trail head then west. Then South through Chute Canyon. Then back East to meet up with track you drew. Your track error is between the NW trail head and Flat Top.

I am happy that at least I have the trail heads in the right spot... any chance you can draw or show me where I missed the 'chute' section

This is the only possibility I can see of riding in or near Chute Canyon... is this the loop maybe?

ChuteLoop.jpg

I am just going to have to find a map somewhere... rather than keep guessing at where the trail is.

Can someone fax me? email me? post a pic of the route? anything to help give me visual?

With your new location for the Trailhead is this the chute loop?

ChuteLoop2.jpg

Here's what I came up with. We are being very productive today. :)

Waterfallchute2-1.jpg

I am happy that at least I have the trail heads in the right spot... any chance you can draw or show me where I missed the 'chute' section

This is the only possibility I can see of riding in or near Chute Canyon... is this the loop maybe?

ChuteLoop.jpg

This one is the most accurate I think. Just move the trail head.