Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild, Replace, don't bother??? Sand in the oil!

Hi everyone.

I am looking into buying and fixing up an '07 450F, that somehow got sand in the oil. So here is my question.

Are there any decent priced used engines out there?? Something I can just stuff in the frame and go.

How much will it be to rebuild this thing top to bottom. I would assume including new cam's, cylinder re-coating, new crank, etc, etc, hoping at bare minimum, the trani is OK (less maybe the bearings in there). And I do the work myself. How much will this cost me in parts.

Or should I just walk away from this and save myself the headache.

Thanks.

it really depends on how much your paying for the bike...

ive got a buddy thats got a complete bottom end for sale, but it needs big end bearings in the crank, its an 06 so its 4 speed (some actually like 4 speed, i dont)...

im sure he would sell it for dirt, and that would save you the hassle of worrying about your trans being ok...

anyway, if u do the work yourself, its still going to be pricey, jsut depends what your paying for the bike... how are the cam journals in the head? if the head and cylinder are ok, maybe even the valves, then your just looking at replacing a piston, gaskets, and a bunch of bearings (proly a clutch kit too), but cleaningeverything out fully is a MUST!

full rebuild new EVERYTHING is $3500. tell him youll give him 1000 at most.

you do it by yourself, itll cost you about $2000. its cheaper to replace the cylinder then to repair it.

If your not interested in the bike & he is willing to sell it for about 1k let me know, I would like to get it to do a kx500 conversion :)

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah 1K is the most I would want to spend on it too. He says 2600 is what he needs. My thought is, no way.

I'll see what happens. Thx.

Ouch, sand in the oil. If it were me, I'd pass on that one. The cams I believe run in the head, not on bearings in the head, but IN the head. The head I believe is the cam bearings. It's going to be quite expensive to revive that motor if it got all scored up from dirt. That one may be more of a part it out bike than a builder. I think even a grand is too high if the motor is completely trashed. The transmission is full of bearings as well, gears, shift drum, if it got all sandblasted...ouch... I feel bad for the owner. That was one _unlucky_tough_thing_ to happen to the bike.

The cams run in bearings on the timing chain side, but do run in the head on the opposite side. How do you get sand in the oil anyway?

CR

CroomRider

I asked that very same question. The guy said that the shop thinks it could have come in through the breathers. But sounds like far too much for that. Seems a bit funny to me.

CroomRider

I asked that very same question. The guy said that the shop thinks it could have come in through the breathers. But sounds like far too much for that. Seems a bit funny to me.

Breather, yeah right! It sounds like somebody didn't like the owner of the bike.

CR

Yeah i definately would not pay more than a grand, it sounds like an expensive rebuild.