Sign in to follow this  

XR400 carb problem

only just got the bike... its a 2002 XR400R, went out for a ride today for the first time, and got 10 miles or so and it started to run bad, like running out or petrol. I put it on reserve but it kept doing it... i pulled over and look down... petrol pooring out of the over flow pipe so i turned off the fuel and tapped the carb to see if it was a sticky float... no.... got home by relay, had the carb off and everything looks fine, no sticky float, no blocked jets... im stummped.... Any ideas please?

thanks

Piece of dirt in the float valve? Even a properly working float won't necessarily be able to overcome this. I'll bet if you take it apart and put it back together, it will work fine.

I've read here on tt that the slosh baffle on the main jet in the bottom of the carb bowl can wiggle up and stick the float in the open position, you can put an o-ring above it on the body of the jet that will lock it down or remove it altogether

the fuel is clean too i checked that, the inline filter is ok too... i thought it could have been the slosh baffle so i removed it and it still poors fuel out, when the tap was turned on.....

the bike hasnt any water in it.... not sure about the factory float settings, but you have to remember this bike has been ridden on this setting for 18 months, i have only owned it for two days and rode 30 miles on it like this before it started leaking

Im just going to throw this out there. How do you know it the fuel over flow and not the fuel drain hose?? They are routed togeather.

coz its the pipe that comes out the top of the float chamber, the drain wouldnt make the bike run badly either

coz its the pipe that comes out the top of the float chamber, the drain wouldnt make the bike run badly either

Replace the float, needle valve, and needle valve seat.

JayC

the bike hasnt any water in it.... not sure about the factory float settings, but you have to remember this bike has been ridden on this setting for 18 months, i have only owned it for two days and rode 30 miles on it like this before it started leaking

what i think i meant by water logged is, is the float have fuel inside of it causing it to stay in the bottom of the bowl? sometimes they can get a hole in them and fill with fuel causing them to stay at the bottom of the bowl and just pour fuel in.

take the bowl off on the bike and manually operate the float, when you lift it the fuel should shut off, if it does then the bowl drain which is the same drain hose as the bowl overflow could be loose in its seat, if it was it could cause the fuel level to drop while running and then the bike would miss, good hunting to you

thanks for all your advice, i took it off again last night, this time i had a compresser... blew out all the jets, and a load of crap came out... it was in the body of the carb.... hope ive fixed it, gonna take it on a run later.:)