Sign in to follow this  

Vaccum line from carb/air box to engine

Ok so after talking to a guy who raced a 530 excr in Baja this past weekend he said that they were finishing with 100cc of oil. He said that the carb/air box was sucking the oil out of the engine, and that they just took the line off and plugged it. I too have a 2008 530 excr and when I drained the oil the other day barely anything came out. So I want to do this trick also, anyone have a picture of the line?

I have never heard of this problem.

I know the new engines have had problems with oil transfer between gearbox and crank case.

I would think it would be smoking like a frieght train if it is pulling that much oil through the carb.

I have never heard of this problem.

I know the new engines have had problems with oil transfer between gearbox and crank case.

I would think it would be smoking like a freight train if it is pulling that much oil through the carb.

I hear ya, but like I said I drained my oil warm a few days ago and barely anything came out. I dont wanna be doing a Baja trip and have my engine seize due to lack of oil. I want my bike to retain all the oil I put in. So Im just trying to figure this out:banghead:

look for the oil transfer threads here and on KTMTALK

Ok even if his seal went bad somehow only 100cc of oil was left in his engine. The seal problem doesnt sound like when it fails its a one way check valve. So if in fact his vaccum was sucking the oil out of his engine how is it getting out? He was telling me that some company supposedly had a fix. Im pretty sure he was 401x out of Bakersfield. For the SF 250 they were running a 450 KTM model though 5 speed. He said the 530 was fast and no one had beaten them yet.

The only way to know is to drain and refill BOTH the gearbox and engine, if the oil level changes, drain and measure BOTH the gearbox and engine to see if it is a transfer problem or not.

Here is something you may want to look at for your case vent hose.

Case Vent.

DO NOT plug that hole!!!!! that is the crank breather hose!!!!

if you dont want it pumping hot oil vapor into your carb you need the re-route the hose up high and out of the way {with a breather filter}.

DO NOT PLUG IT!!!!!

i bet one of the crank seals failed.

check out this link

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713267

Is it bad to pump hot oil vapor into the carb? I see their is a "T" fitting that runs from the valve cover to the carb and from the trans to that "T" fitting. So can I plug the side of the "T" that goes to the valve cover and just run a small air filter off the valve cover hose? What will all this do for me?

The only way to know is to drain and refill BOTH the gearbox and engine, if the oil level changes, drain and measure BOTH the gearbox and engine to see if it is a transfer problem or not.

Here is something you may want to look at for your case vent hose.

Case Vent.

See the oil was near black and the trans was pretty much the same color oil as I put in a while back. So this little valve is $70 from the store?! Spencive'! If the seal is bad in the enginewouldnt the trans oil be ugly though?

put different colored trans and engine oil and see if they blend or not

Yeah theres no way I have the seal problem the trans oil would be contaminated.