Sign in to follow this  

Re-shim or not?

I own a 2008 YZ250F & just checked my valves after about 90 hrs ride time. All are tight & need to be re-shimmed except one on the left intake side which is on the tight end of the range. I am getting 0.10mm & the range is 0.10-0.15mm, should I re-shim this one as well or wait?

The spec is 0.10-0.15 so really you can do it if you want as long as you stay within spec. Since you are going to have the cams out anyway you might as well. It'll only take a few extra seconds and then you'll know you have it good to go for a while.

I assume that this is the first re-shim on your bike. Go ahead and pull the shim for the valve in question.....check the size. You may find that it is an odd size like an 82. Then it's an easy call to put in the 80 and you're right back in the middle of the range. If the next size down makes the clearance too great I would'nt do it.

I assume that this is the first re-shim on your bike. Go ahead and pull the shim for the valve in question.....check the size. You may find that it is an odd size like an 82. Then it's an easy call to put in the 80 and you're right back in the middle of the range. If the next size down makes the clearance too great I would'nt do it.

Ditto on this advice. Spot on in my opinion. I actually put 140hrs (well my son did) on our last 08 and didnt have to shim the valves once. I checked them every 30 hrs when I did the top end and again right before I sold it.

To do all this valve stuff

do i need a kit of shims to do it?

how much and what kind and where to buy?

To do all this valve stuff

do i need a kit of shims to do it?

how much and what kind and where to buy?

You could get a Hot Cams shim kit from Motosport.com for around $75.00 but I would just get the shims you need from your local dealership. The only reason I bought the Hot Cams shim kit is I rebuild and service a lot of bikes otherwise I wouldnt even have bought it. :)