Sign in to follow this  

motor bogs and dies when trying to go from a stop

so as some of you may know I just recently got an '00 DRZ. when I test rode it a couple weeks before the trade was done it ran fine, but now that I have it it doesn't seem to like me:bonk: It starts right up w/ 2 clicks of the choke and idles fine. When parked in neutral you can rev the motor all you want and it sounds fine BUT when I put it in gear and try to go the motor bogs down and dies. I tried more gas and less clutch and it stilies like im bogging the clutch. The PO has an HMF pipe and says the carb was re-jetted but to what settings I don't know. To me it seems like it may be rich and flooding but it starts right up after it dies so IDK:banghead:

I need some more experianced minds here:busted:

If jetting is the cause and it revs fine in neutral but not under load, it is lean, not rich. You really need to open the carb, see what is in it. Make good notes.

I dont admit to be an expert in the slightest, but it does sounds more like its getting too much air in there! Has it had the 3x3 mod on the airbox? Check for any air leaks (Allthough if it were an air leak, it wouldn't idle so well) and make sure the filter is in place properly... apart from that, i dont confess to know!

alright when the PO drops off the stock exhaust I'll swap that on check to see if that helps than see if he did the 3x3 and IF the carb actually was rejetted

thankyou:worthy:

can some one detail the procedure for getting to the jets and checking them?

I'll go check the FAQ right now

Check the carb, I had this happen to me once while riding the local dunes- it turned out to be a grain of sand got in at WOT and was holding the slide open on the Mikuni carb stock on the s. Would idle and run fine, but would not pull unless using lots of throttle and severely slipping the clutch.

I emailed the PO and he said he used dynoJet satge 2 jets on the carb.:) idk if that might mean more to someone else...

I emailed the PO and he said he used dynoJet satge 2 jets on the carb.:) idk if that might mean more to someone else...

The stage 2 kit is the one to use combined with the 3x3mod and a more open exhausts system.

Don't think your problem is related to the jeting if he's followed the spec's in dj kit.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3110.pdf

any other ideas? No one else has experienced this problem?

I want to register it and get :) ASAP

sidestand switch removed by PO. maybe his wiring came un-done?

I haven't got a repair manual yet. How do I remove the carb?

Go to 2:26 and it goes thru the removal process pretty well....:)

okay, so today I went to work on the DRZ. The sidestand swich is removed and the wiring is still B'd together. The airbox did not have the 3x3 hole cut in it and the carb seems to be clean. I cut the 3x3 and cleaned the filter. With the 3x3 done it is doing a little better I can get the bike to actually move with alot of feathering the clutch. I ordered a quiet core for the HMF to bottle the exhaust up a bit.

Also one other thing. it seems to be idleing high and the idle adjustment screw was all the way in. I didn't really see?hear much change in the idle when I slowly turned it out about 1/2-3/4 a turn

I called a small engine/bike(chopper) shop and described it to them, they seem to think it sounds like the clutch?

How does one adjust the clutch cable? How much friction zone should the clutch have? it seems to catch kind of far in the release?

would a not properly gapped plug possibly be the cause?

on the plus side-

atleast the XR4 runs great

How many turns is the pilot air screw out?????

Also, you (I think) need to adjust your throttle cables to achieve a good idle.

it's lean on the bottom.