Sign in to follow this  

Need Old Man grips

So I flogged my 450x at the local Motocross track yesterday, and I am one sore old fart. I bet I have more blisters on my hands than a 14-year old with a Victoria's secret catalog.

I just put on new grips, I think they are Scott, and they are called "waffle" for a reason... my hands are fried.

What do you guys run? I looked at Gel grips and they offer a little more vibration and hand protection, but if there is something out there with even more cushion, I would be all over it.

I use ODI lock-on grips with a half waffle pattern and dont usually have a problem with blisters...Progrip 714's are about the thickest grips as far as I know...Maybe try different gloves,something with a double palm...I Havent tried them but I think the company that makes the neoprene "sealsavers"also has a product called palm saver...Maybe you are just using too much hand lotion.:)

I love the ODI grips. Glove liners might help with the blisters too.

I used to have a blister problem. In my opinion it is the riding gloves. I had a friend recommend some gloves. I think they call them "mechanics gloves". You can get them at Home Depot or any auto parts store. Try them out. They work great and are super cheap compared to name brand riding gloves.

I like pro taper pillow tops... not everyone does though

I don't hate pillow tops so much as I REALLY like spider m1's

Bryce

GLOVE LINERS ARE THE ANSWER!!!

I use to get blisters when racing, tried taping my hands and that didn't work...the tape usually just bunched up or ripped the skin of when I went to take it off. I have a desk job so my hands don't get that much abuse on a day to day basis...do not insert joke here :). Anyway, I actually stopped wearing workout gloves at the gym just so I would toughen up my hands more.

Back on topic, I believe PC Racing makes them and their called "Underware." They work great. I usually practice with regular gloves and when it comes time to race I switch to a pair of gloves one size bigger and put on glove liners. NO MORE BLISTERS!

Spider grips are awesome.

I cant use glove liners, they make everything feel bulky and bunched up.

Good grips and not death griping the bars should solve any blister issues.

IMO waffle and Half waffle are the absolute worst for giving blisters.

I like OURY 'road grips'. They are a large block pattern and really soft. Kinda tough to find and they wear out pretty quick, but they're cheap. Under $10.00. JC Whitney usually always has them. I would also recommend safety wire 'cause they tend to slip if you don't. Good luck.

YO

Check out the Gel grips at dual-star.com. Run them on all my bikes.:)

I love the ODI grips. Glove liners might help with the blisters too.
GLOVE LINERS ARE THE ANSWER!!!

I use to get blisters when racing, tried taping my hands and that didn't work...the tape usually just bunched up or ripped the skin of when I went to take it off. I have a desk job so my hands don't get that much abuse on a day to day basis...do not insert joke here :). Anyway, I actually stopped wearing workout gloves at the gym just so I would toughen up my hands more.

Back on topic, I believe PC Racing makes them and their called "Underware." They work great. I usually practice with regular gloves and when it comes time to race I switch to a pair of gloves one size bigger and put on glove liners. NO MORE BLISTERS!

These guys have the answers.

Truly... blisters as we know are caused by friction. Friction caused by gloves that rub against our hand because of too much material, or are a bit too big. "Glove Liners" sold by Moose and other companies are a 'buffer' between the skin and glove. ...and they work great!!!

It's not really your hand-grip that causes the issue... other than more friction or less due to the pattern. We all get blisters from shovel handles... right? So... no pattern there at all right?! Simply... it's the friction. Remove it (near impossible)... or help eliminate it as much as possible (glove liners).

... I used to think that liners were big or bulky and they felt awkward. Now... (for the past 5yrs) I've loved'em and got used to them. Won't ride without. And no, don't go buy a glove size larger. Your defeating the purpose.

BTW - I too use ODI Lock-on ... nothing better in my opinion (for fit, function, and pattern/material)

I like pro taper pillow tops... not everyone does though

The pillow tops are by far the best I've found, they not only last great but are large for an easier grip. I have tried many grips I never found a pair that was comfortable, let alone last more than a few rides until now. I even tried the pricey kevlar grips, not impressed! I was just about to order factory OEM grips from yamaha for my wr 250f when I found pillow tops. You won't be dissapointed:ride:

These guys have the answers.

Truly... blisters as we know are caused by friction. Friction caused by gloves that rub against our hand because of too much material, or are a bit too big. "Glove Liners" sold by Moose and other companies are a 'buffer' between the skin and glove. ...and they work great!!!

It's not really your hand-grip that causes the issue... other than more friction or less due to the pattern. We all get blisters from shovel handles... right? So... no pattern there at all right?! Simply... it's the friction. Remove it (near impossible)... or help eliminate it as much as possible (glove liners).

... I used to think that liners were big or bulky and they felt awkward. Now... (for the past 5yrs) I've loved'em and got used to them. Won't ride without. And no, don't go buy a glove size larger. Your defeating the purpose.

BTW - I too use ODI Lock-on ... nothing better in my opinion (for fit, function, and pattern/material)

JAT, I actually went to one size bigger after fitting the liners with gloves in the local shop. Before that I would squeeze my hands with liners on into my normal sized gloves and it was a real tight fit. After a while I would get the sensation that my hands were going to sleep, probalby due to reduced blood flow caused by the tight fitting gloves :). Eventually, this would lead to increased armpump. With the larger gloves I no longer have this problem and I have not had 1 blister in the past 3 years since using liners so I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, I now wear size 11 gloves with medium sized inserts and like the combo...I wear a 10 without liners. I recommed people try gloves with the liners on to get the best fit.

JAT, I actually went to one size bigger after fitting the liners with gloves in the local shop. Before that I would squeeze my hands with liners on into my normal sized gloves and it was a real tight fit. After a while I would get the sensation that my hands were going to sleep, probalby due to reduced blood flow caused by the tight fitting gloves :banghead:. Eventually, this would lead to increased armpump. With the larger gloves I no longer have this problem and I have not had 1 blister in the past 3 years since using liners so I couldn't be happier.

Anyway, I now wear size 11 gloves with medium sized inserts and like the combo...I wear a 10 without liners. I recommed people try gloves with the liners on to get the best fit.

I'm one of the "in-between" types... and I've noticed most people who have used liners around me don't bump up a size. But surely... if you have large hands or your gloves are a bit snug to begin with, going big is the answer. Thanks for the info Dan. And yes... try'em on before leaving the store as if you were heading out for a ride. Understanding... gloves give a tiny bit after break-in. :)