Sign in to follow this  

powered up KLX frustration

I have an almost brand new 2006 KLX 300 with all the free mods, 12 tooth front sprocket and a Bill Blue 34 mm Mikuni pumper. I've read many threads of those who are experiencing 2nd & 3rd gear wheelies with a turn of the throttle. I still have to work to get the front end up in second. I was expecting a bigger gain with the new pumper, maybe my hopes were to high !! I rode my brothers new 2008 WR250 this weekend and was very surprised with the power this 250 had. Twist the throttle in 2nd and 3rd and it wheelied easily. I loved it. I had Bill Blue set up (jet) the carb for me. Is there some performance issue with this carb that needs adjustment. I just don't see a big difference between the stock carb with the dyno jet kit and this pumper. I know the KLX is no WR, but I think it should perform pretty close..any suggestions ??

While I don't have enough experience with the Mikuni's to compare, I thought the difference between my properly jetted CVK and my FCR35 was significant. The throttle response and acceleration was much better. While the header will definitely help, it kinda sounds like maybe you don't have the jetting squared away.

12 tooth front sprocket is geared really low if you have the 50 tooth rear. With my 300 I ran either 13/50 or 14/50 depending on the terrain. I never felt the need to go lower than 13/50 even in very tight nasty single track.

I'm running the bike with a 13-45 setup and jetted 132 and 40 with the full Muzzy. I can really only do wheelies in first gear. Probably because I can't slide back far enough because the Pelican case is in the way.

Your opinion...Does the header help that much ?? Is it worth the money ?? how much bigger is the FSW header compared to stock ?? I wanting to twist the throttle (2nd & 3rd gear) and left the front end with out having to work at it. Maybe if I went with the FCR, that would happen ....

Your expectations may be exceeding the potential of the bike. The strong point with these bikes is the mellow power band which makes them easier to manuver on tight trails. You can putt along without having to constantly slip the clutch. Besides, the stock suspension will hold you back.

Ride on

Brewster

The combination of all the parts contributes to the performance gain your seeking. I have added an FMF power bomb/2 brothers pipe, free mods, UNI air filter, fcr 35 but still need to drop a tooth on the c/s sprocket. It still needs a good tug on the bars to lift the front end, hopefully the regearing will enable twist of the throttle wheelies...

I have to slide up on the seat to keep the front end down in the lower gears. Even in the upper gears all it takes is a jerk on the bars going over a bump.

with a larger header(i like the orsels one) and fcr you can blip the throttle in 1st or 2nd gear over logs and the such. and it still has the aspect brewster described of being very manageable and predictible in the woods. i'm not a racer, and have this bike for the exact reason of being able to tractor and manuver easily.

ifyou want kx 250 type of opened up crazy wide open power, klx is the wrong bike.

with my constant fiddling,I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to fit one of those ''power now'' carburetor wings thingy on their klx250 ??