Sign in to follow this  

AD Boivin Explorer (SNOW-Bike) experience with video's

As soon as I saw the AD Boivin Explorer, I knew I had to try it out! As luck would have it, Mark Starnes (super nice guy), Moto-Trax dot com (253)304-8499 e-mailed me about a last minute demo day and I just happen to have the morning off! Because it was so last minute, there were only two of us plus Mark, who also brought a Snow Hawk and snowmobile. I had never ridden any of the aforementioned machines so I was a bit apprehensive, but excited nevertheless. It was a perfect day out there...true blue and 22!

I was the first up on the Explorer and I immediately felt comfortable...just like a bike. I should mention that the bike was a 2008 KTM 530 EXC-R. The rear track and front ski had multiple adjustment points for every riding condition and style and Mark's bike was set-up in the middle for most conditions. What felt like a sluggish front end that pushed turns quickly went away with each minute of riding! All this and we were still on the cat tracks heading up to the play fields. I encountered a whooped out section similar to braking bumps and the bike handled it just fine.

Next, I entered a little play area with plenty of powder. WOW. This bike is made for 6 - 12 inches of powder on a base. I could not take the smile off my face. After Eric and I got used to the bike we moved under the power lines, which must have been 8 -10 football fields large! It had a huge hill climb and was filled with drop offs, dips, large berms/hills and plenty of trees on the edge to dive in and out of. I remember thinking that these things would be weak and sluggish plowing their way through the snow. I quickly found out how wrong I was as they are quite fast and can turn on a dime. I also tried both the Snow Hawk and snowmobile, which had much more power, but I didn't like in comparison to the Explorer. All in all, it was just an incredible day and I wanted to thank Mark! If you guys and gals are interested, give Mark a call to set-up a demo day...you will not be disappointed! FYI, the season just got extended again with all the fresh snow! Here are some random thoughts:

1. I'm getting one of these as soon as I can get the money together!

2. $3000 is pretty cheap when you consider all the parts and where it allows you to ride.

3. Fun, Fun, Fun...I felt like a kid again and isn't that the point!

4. The more power (500+) the bike has, the better.

5. A close ratio tranny is better. *KTM's wide ratio tranny left a little bog between gears in the powder*

David

GEDC0162.jpg

GEDC0163.jpg

GEDC0164.jpg

GEDC0165.jpg

GEDC0167-1.jpg

Some video's of me (sorry for crappy quality, but you get the point)

th_GEDC0166.jpg

th_GEDC0170.jpg

This is Eric

th_GEDC0174.jpg

th_GEDC0175-1.jpg

th_GEDC0176.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the write up and the info.. Me and my buds are looking to these kits as an alternative to a 10,000 snow machine.. :) Looks like fun!!!

The wheels are an add-on feature for loading the bike, crossing pavement or thin snow with pavement underneath...really nice! You can ride these things in the dunes.

David

Cool! Nice writeup. I've ridden the 2Moto, but haven't seen much about the Explorer. I would love to see a head-to-head shootout in different types of conditions.

rode one of marks bikes @ the snojammers poker run.what can you say about a guy youve never met letting you on his ride?great expierience,great group of guys & an awesome day for me.my face hurt when we got home.prolly from all the:ride: i did:worthy: must say i had an awfull lot of fun on the $1500 cat 800 i was on also.

You're absolutely right Joe! My plan is to regress in years both mentally and physically...so I'm working like an animal and doing as many fun things as possible. CAN you say mid-life crisis?

I have a friend who has A snoxcycle conversion for his 450, and all I can say is I'm building one. Finally I've found a reason to own a 500 2t. Thies things are a blast I'd like to ride a 2moto or an adventurer. but I've ridden onse of these and it rocks.... Imagine red 450....

http://img.moto22.com/2007/01/013.jpg