Sign in to follow this  

Go Pro mount

Well finally after roaming through Home Depot for a half hour, I came up with a solution to mounting the camera on the face protector part of the helmet.

Materials, 1 large rubber stopper (get in the nuts and bolts section at Home Depot), 1 aluminum plate that is used to build decks (you will find in lumber), a 3 inch bolt with a flat head with nut and a half inch washer.

Gopro1.jpg

I got a large rubber stopper that would be large enough to create a sturdy base for a the metal plate. I scored the metal plate by hitting the plate with a screwdriver and eventually bending it with pliers back and forth until it broke into the size I wanted (which was just bigger than the Go Pro sticky mount). I carved the stopper into the rough size of the opening in my helmet vent and drilled a small hole through the center of the stopper. You still have to ram the bolt through as rubber collapses.

Gopro2.jpg

Press the mount into the opening.

Gopro3.jpg

I took a bit of the left over metal and made a bracket that would fit the inside of the mouth piece and left a flat spot in the center so that a small washer would fit flat.

GoPro4.jpg

Drill out a bit of the sticky mount so that the head of the bolt will recess into the hole and the sticky mount will sit flush.

Gopro5.jpg

GOpro6.jpg

Gopro7.jpg

It is a bit heavy in the front, I will report after giving it a try on the trail. Maybe a counterbalance will work.

if u ride MX it should be fine.. but if u trail ride.. dont know about where your at.. but branches will bust that off real quick.. its stickin out kinda far.. good job tho.. i think it does the best vids from that spot

I think it is less likely to get hit here than on top or side of the helment.

I'd cut the bolt shorter and put some type of rubber cap over it. If you hit hard in the front of that helmet it looks like that bolt could punch through your bottom lip and bust out a couple teeth.

Otherwise, nice job ! :)

I did a check with the helmet on and it won't touch me. I probably will still shorten it a bit.

I did a check with the helmet on and it won't touch me. I probably will still shorten it a bit.

It probably won't touch you normally but I just had a hard get off a couple weeks ago and it contorted my jaw into that tight space and cutt my lip. I'm still at a loss how my jaw got into there but it did. And I can't imagine how many teeth I would have lost if I had a bolt there.

Anyway, you're probably good for the most part. :)

So is the angle right? Can you adjust it up or down much?

if u look around on here.. u will see the pics of how i have mine.. if u can get the moung it comes with.. into your helmet and have only the end sticking out so u can put the camera on.. thats the best way.. the back on my camera is like 1/4 in away from the helmet..it can take a good beatin... i would have to hit something really hard for it to break off.. while saying that.. "knocking on wood" haha good luck.. hope it works out good...

better yet... leave the bracket u have on.. take that extra tape they give u.. use it on the back on the camera itself... so the camera would be against the metal u have.. just put it in a way that u can still open it.. that would work out good that way