Sign in to follow this  

Why two different chain adjusters?

Sorry if this is a noob question but I searched and didn't find the answer.

The E and S models use the Snail adjuster for the drive chain while the SM uses the threaded adjuster block. I'm curious whats the advantages of doing that for each bike?

Since SM gets the inverted forks and bigger brakes there must be some logical reason why the chain adjuster style was also changed.

Thanks!

:)

No real good or bad reason. The chain adjusters were already part of the swingarm design that Suzuki grabed out of the parts bin to use on the SM.

I prefer the threaded bolt as it allows finner adjustment than cam type with detents. But it is no big deal either way.

Hmm, interesting. I dont have a lot of experience with such things but it would seem the threaded block allows for finer adjustments.

Follow up question, why would Suzuki change swingarms for the SM instead of just using the S/E swingarm? Probably the same basic answer but it is curious to me.

I think it's because since they decided to borrow from a 2005-ish RM-250 and use a trendy upside-down fork on the SM for the bling factor, they did the same with the RM-250-inspired swingarm, which comes with the typically motocross bolts for the chain adjusters.

Bikes aimed at trail use often come with the snail cam adjusters.

Just to confuse the hell outta you. Mission accomplished.

I think it's because since they decided borrow from a 2005-ish RM-250 and use a trendy upside-down fork on the SM for the bling factor, they did the same with the RM-250-inspired swingarm, which comes with the typically motocross bolts for the chain adjusters.

Bikes aimed at trail use often come with the snail can adjusters.

Ah, that makes sense to me.

Thanks! :)