Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone ever ran out of gas on the trail?

I did 2 weekends ago. Luckily I was riding with someone (I never ride alone anyway). We put his bike on the hill sideways with mine just below. I used the gas cap overflow hoses from both of our bikes to make a 2 foot long hose and connected one end to his petcock and the other end drained into my tank. Took a couple of minutes, but got enough gas to get back to the trucks.

I did 2 weekends ago. Luckily I was riding with someone (I never ride alone anyway). We put his bike on the hill sideways with mine just below. I used the gas cap overflow hoses from both of our bikes to make a 2 foot long hose and connected one end to his petcock and the other end drained into my tank. Took a couple of minutes, but got enough gas to get back to the trucks.

Now THAT is creative thinking :)

I did not too long ago with my dads quad. I was riding with a couple buddies and we ended up finding an old capri sun pouch that we washed in the creek and then unhooked the petcock hose thing and filled up the capri sun pouch with gas. We did this a couple of times until we could fire the quad back up again. Unfortunately, I rode about 100 ft and the rear sprocket bolts fell off.:) We had to push the quad quite a ways until we were able to get a trailer to load it onto.

When I was younger I ran out on a longing trail behind my house. The reserve got me to within about 2 miles from home. I tried pushing the bike and gave up on a long washed out hill. I stashed the bike in the weeds and walked home for gas. Got back to the bike right at dark and had to ride with a flashlight to get home.

On a long desert ride we were rerouted due to a new fence going up. We knew gas was gonna be short so instead of all of us trying to make it back to the trucks -and all of us possibly running out - we had a goal of making it to a road where someone in our group could drive to get us. Two of us were loaded up with as much gas while the rest did make it to the road. Waited an hour or two. Everyone went home before dark!

I've been real close before but so far, never actually happened.

Riding the YZ I used to have one day, loaded, went home, washed the bike, started it up to dry the motor off, it ran out of gas before the motor warmed up. No reserve on a MX bike, that was close.:)

I ran my bike out of gas AND blew it up at the same time cuz it leaned out lol.

It wasn't a legit track we were running, and about 2 miles off the road.

Worst part was i didnt know it blew up until next week when i tried to go riding!!!:)

I gave 2 guys some gas out in the desert yesterday. They were out of gas pretty deep in the desert.

Hope they made it back.

I can think of one time I ran out, it was actually just a few months ago...

Luckily I was at the top of a mountain near the parking lot, and instead of following the trail, I used my decent sence of direction and just went straight down back to the parking lot haha

the most we came to running out, was switching it to reserve a few miles from the trailhead. I got a flat one time riding though.

During an over 100 deg. Hare Scramble I had fallen over and gas was running out the vent hose took a bit to get my bearings and pick my bike back up. Got back on the gas and repassed virtually everyone in my class who had went by then gassing it in a grass track section I heard the tell tale sign of two stroke running on fumes. Ended up pushing my bike last quarter mile to finish line collapsing and getting IV fluids. Now I do pit stop at almost every race for gas.

My old YZ is a gas hog, so yes I have run out. Several times in fact. This is why I pack spare gas in my back pack for long rides and built an auxiliary tank that mounts to the front number plate. It only adds an extra quart at the moment, but I am working on making it bigger.

I was iron-maning a 12 hour race at starvation ridge and i forgot to pit about 170 miles in and I got about a quarter mile from the pits and it started to bog so i reached down and flipped it to reserve, got it back runnin right, got to the pits and the tank was bone dry.. got really really lucky

And my friend ran out of gas at the finish line of a 3 hour WORCS-type event. He ran a stock tank and did fuel up through the event, but took a chance with a quick pit.

I mean like at the finish. Puke. Not a drop. Luckily there was a huge downhill and only a short straight before the checkers.

I've run out of gas twice on bikes. Both times I disected too many other possible problems before thinking to check the obvious. Derrrr...but I won't make either mistake again. EXPERIENCE THROUGH FAILURE!!!!!

Wow so far i havent ran out. But then again, because I am new, I check the gas like every 30 min because that is one my fears.

Ive done it twice! Once on the wide-open approach up an epic hillclimb, and once at the worst possible time in a rhythm section causing me to loop out furiously and lose conciousness! What dont kill ya, only makes ya stronger (and smarter)

I'm wondering... if you have a two stroke and run out of gas and the only people around that are willing to give you some gas have four strokes and you don't have any oil, would you chance it and run straight gas for a mile or two to get back to the truck or just walk the bike back??? vice versa? putting premixed gas in your 4 stroke?? or just walk it back. Walking a bike a couple miles is pretty darn miserable.