Sign in to follow this  

xr650l rear wheel help

hi all

been rideing my pig up here in maine lately, when i see ice melting im gone:thumbsup:

the road salt is bad up here so i washed her up good today and started to polish the rims. it's a 2002 L with 7400miles on it, iput a new rim and bearings on front last year,that cleand up nice. the rear is stock and as i'm cleaning it i noticed alot of slop in it :)

i'm geusing the bearing's are shot,tryed looking in the servace manul but saw nothing about checking for play.

i whant to order parts and need to know if this is hard to fix and what part's i should change, this is my first bike ever and i love the dam thing have not missed a mount yet that i haven't rode it and can't have it not ready to roll

any advice greatly appreacated

i'm pretty good with a wrench but not sure if it's pressed in or what?

thank's guy's

steve

I hear that the seals are sort of inferior on the L and that power washers will actually push water past them. Then the bike sits for a while, and the water rusts and galls the bearings. (Which will be severely accelerated by the presence of salt.. ICK!!) Then it's just a matter of time before they eat themselves alive and start slopping. Sounds like time for new bearings. there is a thread on here somewhere that will get you a much higher quality wheel bearing at a much lower price than the "genuine" one. If I remember right, it is a standard sized generic bearing, meaning there are probably alot of manufacturers that you can get it from.

• Like 1

:) thank's road toad that's what i thought,i probly should not pressure was it any more either:banghead: .

i think i've read that is is not good, any way thanks and +1 gas for you

:) thank's road toad that's what i thought,i probly should not pressure was it any more either:banghead: .

i think i've read that is is not good, any way thanks and +1 gas for you

You can pressure wash it, just make sure to keep your wand pointed away from any seals. Like the output shaft on the engine, if yours is exposed like mine.

You can turn the throttle on your pressure washer down quite a bit, too- pressure washers make hella pressure compared to the crappy quarter fed car wash kind. i find mine @ 1/4 throttle makes about the same pressure as a coin fed. Turn the throttle up, and it will peel paint!!

Wheel bearing seals.

Fork seals.

Brake master cylinders/calipers.

Air box, of course.

Basically any seal that has a moving part- engine gaskets won't be an issue unless you blast the hell out of them at ridiculously high pressures.

:banghead: :banghead: :foul:

shouldnt be too hard to replace them, hammer and some kind of punch to push them out, just gotta use some caution. Im lucky mine has 12500 miles and my wheels are still nice n tight, might just have to replace them soon just cause though

thank's all, i got it all apart and they were pretty rusty and there was like no grease in there any where. just a little in the bearing's them self.

they pounded out all right but i did have trouble getting the bearing retainer off and it's beat to sheet now:bonk:

i ordered pivot works bearings and seal's they are sealed on both side's of the bearing and think they will be more durable, also ordered a new retainer from the tt store.

when i put it back together should i grease up everything the spacer bar and put what i can in the hub? seem's like there sould of been more grease in there than none, man it was dry and rusty and the spacers and axle bolt where getting pretty rusty.

funny i couldn't feel it rideing there was alot of slop,good think i polished the wheel and felt it before anything else got toasted:thumbsup:

what grease do you all use just hi temp bearing like aoto stuff?

thank's again all

cheer's

• Like 1

thank's all, i got it all apart and they were pretty rusty and there was like no grease in there any where. just a little in the bearing's them self.

they pounded out all right but i did have trouble getting the bearing retainer off and it's beat to sheet now:bonk:

i ordered pivot works bearings and seal's they are sealed on both side's of the bearing and think they will be more durable, also ordered a new retainer from the tt store.

when i put it back together should i grease up everything the spacer bar and put what i can in the hub? seem's like there sould of been more grease in there than none, man it was dry and rusty and the spacers and axle bolt where getting pretty rusty.

funny i couldn't feel it rideing there was alot of slop,good think i polished the wheel and felt it before anything else got toasted:thumbsup:

what grease do you all use just hi temp bearing like aoto stuff?

thank's again all

cheer's

Do you have any pics of what it looks like apart?? I would think that Honda would have used permanently sealed bearings.. it would make a little more sense. I guess I should have looked at my bearings when i put the last tire on.. Has me scared now. I didn't really think of it since the bike is so new. :):banghead: :banghead: :foul::p:busted:

The stock Honda bearings are sealed on one side only, the other is left open to repack grease. When I ordered new bearings, I ordered the ones sealed on both sides, IMO less chance of dirt getting in. Nice job on getting the bearing retainer off, looks like a PITA with out the special tool. When I do my bearings I plan on using hi temp anti-seize on any metal to metal surfaces.

here's some pic's road toad, wish i had the retainer tool it's probly cheaper than a new retainer. something to think about getting when you do your's.

i sharpend a air chisle and just burped the air chisle untill it turned out, but it messed it up pretty good. i read on here to put two alen wrenches in oposing holes and vice grip them in the middle so you have a handle to unscrew it ,but mine were pretty rusty and gunked up and would not buge.

the bearing's hammered out alright though.

bearings Resized.jpg

close up bearing's Resized.jpg

• Like 2

here's some pic's road toad, wish i had the retainer tool it's probly cheaper than a new retainer. something to think about getting when you do your's.

i sharpend a air chisle and just burped the air chisle untill it turned out, but it messed it up pretty good. i read on here to put two alen wrenches in oposing holes and vice grip them in the middle so you have a handle to unscrew it ,but mine were pretty rusty and gunked up and would not buge.

the bearing's hammered out alright though.

Hmm... I might have to make a handful of spanner wrenches to give away here on TT..... Just a thought. That's what it sounded like you needed in this case. Thanx for the pics! :):banghead:

Hmm... I might have to make a handful of spanner wrenches to give away here on TT..... Just a thought. That's what it sounded like you needed in this case. Thanx for the pics! :):banghead:

Doesn't everyone make their own? Ya ain't got a tool, don't buy it, make it!

Dave

Doesn't everyone make their own? Ya ain't got a tool, don't buy it, make it!

Dave

Right on there!! Too cheap to buy!

lol.. i just have access to alot of metal fabricating equipment that your typical person doesn't. I guess if there was enough demand, i could even make a die to stamp these things out by the 100's.. lol..

got the pivot works bearing kit in today:banana: ,the kit come's with a new retainer,seal's and bearing's. didn't know the retainer would come with it and had ordered one from tt to:banghead: that thing cost more then the bearing kit:bonk:

thought a heads up for other's was in order:thumbsup:

going down to the garge and put my piggy back together:banana: :):banghead: :banghead: