Sign in to follow this  

10,000 Miles

I just rolled 10,000 miles on the way home today. (yay!) Bad part is my Z is only eight months old. My daily commute is 85 miles round trip, and 80 of that is at 65mph+ speeds. My question is about the life expectancy of my fifth gear? I change the oil every 1000mi. and so far so good, but I kinda wonder just how much it can take?:)

I just rolled 10,000 miles on the way home today. (yay!) Bad part is my Z is only eight months old. My daily commute is 85 miles round trip, and 80 of that is at 65mph+ speeds. My question is about the life expectancy of my fifth gear? I change the oil every 1000mi. and so far so good, but I kinda wonder just how much it can take?:banghead:

Hey dragon, :banghead:

With that much high speed riding, you might consider gearing up a tad. I do a fair amount of freeway riding and found 15/39 to be a good compromise of off the line giddy up and relaxed freeway cruising. I have over 20,000 work miles on mine, and everything's just fine. Had the oil analyzed at 15,000 and the report came back very favorable with no abnormal wear.:)

Take Care,

Greg

Actually I am running a 16/41 combo. Does good on the freeway.

Hi dragon, :banghead:

That's cool especially if you live in a flatlander area

I tried that also... but found it was a little high for canyon riding, and lane splitting traffic to holeshoot green lights.:)

Take Care,

Greg

Met a guy out here in WA with like 65k on a S model. No rebuilds, just fluid changes and tires.

Bulletproof!

Met a guy out here in WA with like 65k on a S model. No rebuilds, just fluid changes and tires.

Bulletproof!

Wow, 65K? That is amazing, very cool!:)

Sweeeet! I just want my Z to last. I live around Louisville, KY. A few decent twisty's, but mainly straight line riding. I keep telling myself to play it safe but you all know what the Z monster does to our brains. (stooopid jello mush) I am running a Kenda street tire on the rear and have yet to find where my chicken stripedness ends. (40 yrs. young and still ain't figured it out.)

With a little luck and proper maintenance these drz's last a long time.

I'm just rolling up to 10K myself, but mine's been beaten like it owes me money and yet with regular oil changes (1k miles, less if really romped, use good oil) and regular maint, it's been trouble free.

Tough bikes.

I'm just rolling up to 10K myself, but mine's been beaten like it owes me money and yet with regular oil changes (1k miles, less if really romped, use good oil) and regular maint, it's been trouble free.

Tough bikes.

Yep...less than 100 to 10k myself...always nice to hear people WAAYY exceeding that number. Which means many more happy days on the Z!

Rolled over 25K a couple months ago, no major issues, just regular oil/tire changes and the usual "fixes". :):banghead: :banghead: