Sign in to follow this  

My Secrets To Making Plastics SHINE!

Well, I am finally starting to become a little more mobile since the Femur Break back in December! :)

I decided since I cannot ride until Mid-April..."I shall detail my bike and make it close to as clean as it was after the rebuild :busted:"

As I was cleaning my plastics today, I figured, Hey, why not share this with TT. :banghead:

I know there are many of these threads on TT, but I feel like one of my steps might have been overlooked :foul:

Here are some of the things I do to my thrashed plastics to keep them looking new.

Step 1-

Although I did not get too many pictures of this phenomenon, I snapped a few. When I started my bike up for the first time (after not prepping it for the winter :crazy:) it spewed black spooge all over the place. My secret to removing this from the inside of my number plates and fender (shown in picture) is this...

076.jpg

WARNING: This DOES dull the plastics a bit so be weary of where you apply it. It is just a gritty type of cleaner. I am sure that the shine can be restored :banghead:

Step 1-

Take your dirty spooged plastic

077.jpg

078.jpg

Step 2-

Sprinkle some of this stuff onto the dirty plastic

079.jpg

Step 3-

RUB IT IN RUB IT IN *sing while rubbing* :lol::busted:

I use a damp paper towel, and also wet the plastics before the sprinkling process.

Step 4-

After rubbing it and washing it off with warm soapy water (soap optional) you should turn out with something like this.

080.jpg

I do this ALL the time on my white plastics. It pretty much removes alot of discoloration. On my old TTR, the side plates would turn a yellow hazy color. I would do this, and BAM! Back to the pearly white :p

Also, to restore that shine, I use *drumroll* MOP-N-GLO. I read about it here on TT and was skeptical about buying it but MAN let me tell you! This stuff works like a charm! I do all my plastics except the shrouds! Check out the difference. (Note: The first picture is not without Mop-N-Glo, it is just a little worn down, so the difference between the original and the ending product would probably be 2x)

Heres how to do it:

Step 1-

Take your dull and boring plastic...

Step 2-

Take a smooth cloth of some sort and apply the Mop-N-Glo (it doesnt take much) to the cloth.

Step 3-

Stroke the plastic in smooth strokes trying to avoid streaks.

Step 4-

Repeat once or twice more. This will ensure it is VERY shiny. The second picture is your result. The difference is more noticable in person.

074-1.jpg

075.jpg

What's happening there with the paint on your truck?

:banghead::foul: I was JUST looking at that wondering if anyone would notice it.

Yeah, we dont really know. We try to keep all of our cars mint, but the paint on the Suburban just started peeling away one day and it gets worse each year :banghead: Its a GREAT SUV, but that makes it look really bad. We've seen aq few others that look the same :)

Keep that stuff away from any aluminum or anodized parts. It will etch it.

I polished my exhaust ports on my boat and did not notice some dripped onto my anodized cav plates and it etched the anodized to a point you can feel the ridge.

Keep that stuff away from any aluminum or anodized parts. It will etch it.

I polished my exhaust ports on my boat and did not notice some dripped onto my anodized cav plates and it etched the anodized to a point you can feel the ridge.

OUCH! :)

A little laquer thinner on a rag will clean that spooge right off your plastics. With very little work and no dulling it also works well around the edges of graphics where that line of glue residue collects dirt that wont wash off with soap and water.

Here's what I do, it is a little more work, but it doesn't wash off like mop-n-glo or other similar remedies: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666479&highlight=

Yeah that is a GREAT job! I would love to do that, but I dont have the materials :)

Call me Johnny Raincloud, but I like to ride my bike :banghead:

Same here. The two times where my bike has been the cleanest are when it blew up, and when I broke my femure (now :banghead: )

Same here. The two times where my bike has been the cleanest are when it blew up, and when I broke my femure (now :) )

I totally forgot about that. I would be doing the same in your position. Get well soon!

I totally forgot about that. I would be doing the same in your position. Get well soon!

Hahaha yeah, its been a whileeeee.

Thanks man!