Sign in to follow this  

Oil blowing out of the engine breather pipe!

Hello guys Me and my mate are running 04 kxf's! My mates bike seems to spit a lot of oil out of his breather pipe (the big grey pipe on top of the engine cases!) and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why this is happening? Everything else seems to be running fine! cheers for any help!

I did question this! He has just done an oil change but assures me he filled it up half way up the window and claims after a 20 min race its at the bottom of the window!!!(the rear linkage and swinging arm are covered in oil) In the 3 races he done on it since the oil change he had to top it up each time.

hmm, yes that wouldnt happen just from overfilling. Obviuosly there is excess pressure trying to escape. Hopefully someone is smarter than me and can help you out with some ideas

I did question this! He has just done an oil change but assures me he filled it up half way up the window and claims after a 20 min race its at the bottom of the window!!!(the rear linkage and swinging arm are covered in oil) In the 3 races he done on it since the oil change he had to top it up each time.

Yeah thats normal. My 07 does this if the oil is overfull.

He measured the oil incorrectly. DONT go by the window. measure the 1.35mL and pour. The windows pretty much useless except to make sure there is actually some amount oil in there.

I dont know it soudns like an awful lot is coming out, I guess I'm giving your friend the benefit of the doubt that he measures his oil, maybe I should not be giving him that benefit? would he really overfill it that much?

Besides overfilling which you sound confident it's not and hasn't been a problem before a worn piston or rings could be pressurizing the cases from blow by and spitting out oil.The other worst case scenario could be a broken oil pump shaft.If your sure it's not from overfilling do a compression test to check the rings.When my 450 oil pump shaft broke it spit out oil like mad and no matter how much oil I put in it was not visible on the glass.A 450 is pretty easy to diagnose a broken shaft because you can get to the impeller from the ignition cover side with out splitting the cases.Not sure how to tell on a 250 because up until 09 you have to split the cases.

Cheers for your input guys! you've given me something to be going on with! Ive got the bike coming over tomorrow night for a look,my first port of call will double check the amount of oil in the engine!(you never know it could be an easy fix) It recently dropped a valve and has had a top end rebuild 5-6 hours ago, piston/rings/valves etc so im assuming the piston/rings should be ok! and worst case i'll check out that oil pump shaft! ill keep you posted on what i find.