Sign in to follow this  

Piston Question

i have a 2001 yz250f and i have put somewhere around 40 hours on it in the year that i have owned it and no telling how much the guy before me put on it in the 7 he owned it. it was well maintaned but that is sure as hell a ton of hours and he never mentioned replacing the piston, and he gave me ton of info when i bought it. I think that it might just be about that time for a new piston. well i have a couple of options and i was wondering should i buy a stock piston, move to a different brand, 13.5-1 or stock 12.5? will it make a difference between a performance piston and the stock one? thanks a ton

A higher compression piston will give you a slight boost in the bottom end and the stocker will give you the same power curve.

in your situation id definatly go to a big bore 290 kit as this will give you a new barral as well, id also replace timing chain, and replace all my valves and just totally give the bike a freshen up:ride: (maybe even 03 cam) it will be way cheaper to go in now ,than to have a valve/piston detonate and then try to fix:moon: i personally mostly trail ride a wr290f ,and i replace my piston every 100hrs ,id be bringing that down to every 50 -60 if doing mx.my 03 detonated in 06:moon: and i still occasionally wake up screaming after dreaming about that bill:lol: