Sign in to follow this  

98 Yz 250

I just picked one up. It's in decent shape but I got it for a steal! It has been sitting around outside for a while and has some obvious weathering. Already I've ordered new plastics, graphics, ect to make it look better. I'm currently stripping the bike down to the frame to have it stripped then powder coated black. The frame has some rust on it, but only superficial stuff that is easly removed. The power coat will give it added resistance to weathering, as well as looking nice. For looks I plan on blue skins with the factor effex graphics, and black wheels.

The bike already came with an FMF pipe and silencer. I've ordered the material to repack the muffler because they were running this bike really rich! There is spooge all over the place! So I know rejetting the carb will need to be done. I'm also wondering what else I should look at. Should I rebuild the carb, replacing the gaskets and what not? The owner said there are about 35hours on the current top end, should I redo the top end just to be safe? What about the bottom end? How long to they last? What about the transmission? Is there a way to check the trans? Or "freshen" it up? I plan on replacing the steering bearings while I have the bike down to it's frame... as well as the wheel bearings when I put the new wheels on. For a bike that is 11 years old, what else should I look at?

Brakes look good.

Some weathering on plastic lines and whatnot (brake lines, throttle, ect), but no cracking.

Bike has an allied racing triple clamp and answer handle bars (probably replace with Black Pro Taper bars though)

Desert tank

And it looks like in '03 ESP set the suspension up for a 170lbs-200lbs rider in the desert... I fit that.

I want a bike that is reliable. I do desert rides and don't wanna be left stranded as my buddies go for help... lol. I thought about a big bore kit, but wasn't sure about their reliability. I have, though, read a lot about flywheel weights and I think I want one. What else should I check? What suggestions do you have for me?

I would do a top end, if you have the time, and you can check for main bearing play while you have it apart. Top ends are cheap, and it has been my experience that if someone says they have 40 hours on a top end, it is at least 60, if not 80!

Anyway, if the tranny shifts well and the clutch feels good, I wouldn't mess with those.

I just put a 9oz flywheel weight on my 2003 yz250 and I love it, mind you I don't ride track, only desert and woods. I can ride a gear higher everywhere and it still has the snap to try to loop out on me if grab too much throttle in the whoops.

Anyway, don't worry about a big bore kit, I weigh 260 and the bike has enough power to pull my fat ass up anything.

From what I've ridden it the trans seems in good condition. Shifts nicely and clutch is good too. I do think, though, that I have an oil leak from the counter sprocket shaft. The previous owner thought it was from the shifter and changed that seal, but it continued. Maybe I'll see if that's the bad seal, replace it, then change the oil.

Yeah, I never trust people on how many hours they have on the bike. That's why I was gonna redo the top end. Everybody says the top ends are cheap. What exactly is being replaced? I've seen the weisco kit's for $160, is there something cheaper? How do you check the main bearing?

A 9oz weight seems to be the weight to go with. I'm gonna give that a shot. Right now I have a 14t counter sprocket and a 48t sprocket. Thinking about getting a 52t sprocket.

Yeah, a standard top end is about $150. Piston, wrist pin, small end rod bearing, and gasket/o-ring and wrist pin clips.

I am running 14/51 gearing and first gear is still a little tall from the really tight stuff, but the flywheel weight helps that out a lot.