Sign in to follow this  

Trials Tyres

ok so all i hear is how good the trials tyres are on trails and what not.

so here are my questions and yes i have searched most of these but only to recieve bad answers

1. are there different softness trials tyres(like big differences)??

2. when i go trail riding it is a 20 minute drive at 100kmph down the highway on my wr250f, will it handle this or will this just ruin it??

3. i ride at an average of 40-60 maybe 70 kmph most because the trails here arent tight they are wide open and rugged with fast sweeping corners, will it be suitable for this??

thanks in advance Ollie

Trials tire will do fine at high speed and on road just so long as you bump up the pressure for those moments. However, running them at a higher pressure limits the ability of the tire to form to the surface thus restricting it's traction.

I chose the pirelli MT43 for just this reason. I ride on-road some, and high speed on gravel. The MT43 is not technically a competition trials tire, but more a trials type tire specifically designed for trail riding or DS. DOT approved, too. The stiffer sidewall and bias ply make it more stable at speed.

At any rate, people can tell you one thing or another all day long and you'll never really know until you give it a shot. I think the MT43 is a good way to get introduced to the traction of a trials tire without making so much sacrifice in higher speed conditions.

Even so, it took me some seat time to get used to the increased traction I had with this tire. Rather than roosting out of corners, I would wheelie and loose the bike. I had to get a bit more throttle control, but after I warmed up to it I feel much more confident and faster overall.

J.

We switched to them last September in anticipation of a very rocky ride. Our intent was just to ride them for that one ride and then switch back to knobbies.

I will never switch back, We love them!!!

hmm interesting.

can some one explain the ply thing ?

and differences in sidewall?

I was reading the review on these tires for MX riding and all I can say is wow, people are really happy with these tires.

How do they hold up for whoops and jumps ?

nothing huge just aggressive riding.

thanks