Sign in to follow this  

06 Kx250

Someone wants to trade an 06 kx250 for my 06 yz250f. Think I should do it? I was looking in to buying a new 08 yz250. What is the bad things about this bike/year? How does it compare to the 08 yz 250 in power, handling, suspension and reliability? He is also unsure of the hours on it, so I was thinking he should cas up $150 for a new top end.

I have a '06 KX250 and have had no problems. I run 110 race gas and have not had the pinging problem a few have experienced. The suspension is a bit stiff for XC/offroad but then again it was designed for SX/MX. I can't compare it to a YZ250 since I haven't rode one but the KX250 is a good reliable bike.

How is the handling and how many hours are on your bike?

I have an 05 Kx250 and my son has an 05 YZ250F. The suspension on his YZ is noticeably more plush than the KX. The KX has noticeably more power. The KX uses more gas, but it's a two stroke. Top speed on both bikes with stock gearing is comparable. The off idle punch on the 05-07 KX250s is huge. With the stock pipe, right off idle, the stock KX250s hit big time, nothing like the YZF. They are quite different bikes. I have heard good things about the YZ250 two stroke. You might want to consider getting some cash as well as the bike if you want to trade. Typically the two strokes sell for a bit less than the 4 strokes, but that depends on how good shape the bikes are in as well. I would ride the bike before you decide to switch to two strokes just to make sure you like them. If it were me, and I liked Yamaha and had the cash, I would seriously consider the YZ250 two stroke new. I do like my 05 KX250, love the bike, but the suspension (forks) are better on the Yamaha for all around riding. If you are really on it, the Yamaha is a bit soft in the suspension and the KX is good, not perfect but good. The rear suspension on both bikes is good in stock form with just some minor clicker adjustments, preload and sag settings.

Hope this helps.

I will try to ask for more cash. How much should I ask for? I was thinking around $500.

the 250 2stroke puts out comparable power to the 450's. they put out waayyyy more then the 250f. I would jump at the chance. the bonus is you are going green LOL.

I prefer the power and ergonomics of my 0KX250 to my brothers 06YZ250.

I of course would be wary of someone trying to trade a better product.

to me it would be like someone saying hey I will give you a KX250 for your KX125

What condition is your bike in? They cost similar when new and yours is a LOT more expensive to maintain the engine, so knowing the condition of each would be necessary.

I have a 06 kx250 and like the bike. I think the newer yz250 is abetter all around bike. The kx motor has a hard hit that may not fit your needs. If your an old school 2 stroke guy you will like it. I think the yz is a better bike out of the box.