Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock removal, so easy a noob like me can do it..

It took me 30 minutes to get my rear shock out of my "L" pig tonight. Surprisingly easy for a guy that sits behind a desk and sells a packet of paper and a promise.

The air box was easy to remove. It is held in by 3 bolts and other than that, a couple of wire clips had to be opened to release the wires that were attached to the box. Open up the clasp on the inntake carb boot and with a little chinese puzzle tinkering, it finally slid out(I imagine it will give me grief on the reinstall).

Just go by the manual in the FAQ. Something that the manual doesn't suggest is removing the muffler for better access, less skinned up knuckles that way. I had mine already removed waiting for the Q4 install.:)

The one thing I had trouble with was getting the darn lock & adjustment ring off the shock body. I boogered those puppies up pretty good when the spanner wrench wasn't doing what it was supposed to do, but I got them off, now I'm probably going to be depressed when I look up how much those bastards cost to replace.:banghead:

So for anyone that's been skeered of tinkering with that tightly wrapped up shock, fear not, if I can do it, you can too.

Nice job, you could still post pictures of the buggered up nuts and your bleeding knuckles.

So now what are you going to do with it? Put that spring on? Oh my.

Nice job, you could still post pictures of the buggered up nuts and your bleeding knuckles.

So now what are you going to do with it? Put that spring on? Oh my.

No bloody knuckles here.:) I've got an Eibach 12 spring for it and I'm getting it revalved. So two weeks from now, I'll be sitting down there, scratching my balls and cussing like a sailor(I was) wondering where some darn bolt went.

Looking forward to hearing how it works for ya, I'm about the same weight.

I just replaced all my shock linkage on my 04 with 03 linkage. I now have 4 zerk fittings to keep greased & will sleep better at night knowing all the linkage is well greased after doing some water crossings. I went the drop the swingarm route & was not too bad removing the shock. Could have used a third hand when installing the swingarm bolt but got it done. They obviously did not want us removing the shock when they designed the L!