Sign in to follow this  

Best place to get running/stop tail light assembly for an R???

Can anyone tell me a place that I can order the "R" style tail light for my "L"?? I seen that they have them @ 4strokesonly.com, but it said that I couldn't buy it online and I had to find a dealer (Pain in the ass.. Have to wonder how many sales they lose over this..)

I want to get one online if possible, and there is NO better place to find out where than this forum!! Thanks, guys!

procycle or WPS they have a XR style light with running, brake, and white taillight for under $20, exact as stock one on the R, just dual filiment, i added one to my L

Thanks Denn - I just picked one up.

We'll see how it fits and wires up. I happen to have an old fender mount license plate bracket on my old XR600 that I'll swap over. I doubt that little light for the plate will do much, but I don't do much night riding at all.

Give me a week or so for pictures.

that light is pretty bright for sure, the white for the lighted plate is pretty weak but its better to see the running light and brake light for sure. has a base to mount flush to any fender and also in stock placement for the R fender

here i found link ihad here on work comp, scroll down about half way and youll see the WPS Dualsport Taillight / Brakelight , $19.99 have this on the L and its exactly like the one on a R, just does it all

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

SWEET!! Thanks, Denn.. You just took all of the hard work out of it for me.. Do you have the WPS style one?? That's the style i prefer.. i just can;t tell if it has the brake and license illumination from the pics is all..

yes i put that same taillight on my L and it works and looks fine i think, lemme go dig up the pic. Its a common one since its a XR style and good looking over stock L bucket lights

cant view pics but im sure there on this one, i changed when i put new white rear fender on and got rid of stocker, its just like the rear on a R too

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666587&highlight=

tried 4strokes only waited for ever, matter of fact, still waitin 4 years later. Never checked back with them. Just make it yourself. You need a small bulb with a 1157 base and a socket for the same. pretty easy to do and saves you a bunch of money

+1 for Procycle....I just got finished DS'ing my XRR couple weeks ago....only minor problems, but they were my own :)

I'm currently running the $5.73 Walmart full DOT stop/brake light. It's just about exactly the same size as the stocker. I couldn't figure out how to mount it and I eventually went with a couple of zip thie through the fender. Been working for a few weeks. It is missing two things that are required by law, the license plate light and the reflector.

A reflector seems like it's a federal requirement. It's in the California vehicle code for sure. Many DS lights omit this required feature. I want to be a legal as possible so I'll come up with something. The other missing item on the $5 light is a white license plate light. I'm working on rigging up some leds.

Here is a thread on it and a photo from that thread. No real mention on the mounting method. From that photo it looks like he mounted it by replacing the existing lens screws with some drywall screws through the fender. Whatever it is those screws sure don't look like what I got with the light.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683696

100_1275.jpg

I'm currently running the $5.73 Walmart full DOT stop/brake light. It's just about exactly the same size as the stocker. I couldn't figure out how to mount it and I eventually went with a couple of zip thie through the fender. Been working for a few weeks. It is missing two things that are required by law, the license plate light and the reflector.

A reflector seems like it's a federal requirement. It's in the California vehicle code for sure. Many DS lights omit this required feature. I want to be a legal as possible so I'll come up with something. The other missing item on the $5 light is a white license plate light. I'm working on rigging up some leds.

Here is a thread on it and a photo from that thread. No real mention on the mounting method. From that photo it looks like he mounted it by replacing the existing lens screws with some drywall screws through the fender. Whatever it is those screws sure don't look like what I got with the light.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683696

100_1275.jpg

Damn, that looks like it belongs there!! Have you considered cutting a small hole in the side of the light closest to the plate, and then gluing some clear plastic lens in it's place? If you stenciled it out carefully, it would be hard to tell whether or not it came that way.

You could also go with a single high intensity LED (they have them @ Radio Shack for about a buck.. some are even 12V ready..) through the plastic lens of your tail light, then just wire it into the running light. if you need space for resistors, those could stash in the tail light too.

I just bit the bullet and paid the $30 for the procycle light. $10.05 seems steep as hell for shipping, so it's more like they are getting $25 for the light and hide $5 worth of profit in the 'shipping." *sigh.*

Regarding the relflectors, you can simply affix a relfective decal as long as it's got enough area to meet CVC, that's what i did. I asked a LEO on another forum about it and he said it was kosher. Don't forget the side ones too...

EDIT: Here's the CVC...

Reflectors on Rear

24607. Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams.

(f) Area reflectorizing material may be used in lieu of the reflectors required or permitted in subdivisions (a), (:), ©, (d), and (e), provided each installation is of sufficient size to meet the photometric requirement for those reflectors.

tried 4strokes only waited for ever, matter of fact, still waitin 4 years later. Never checked back with them. Just make it yourself. You need a small bulb with a 1157 base and a socket for the same. pretty easy to do and saves you a bunch of money

Very true!! I placed an order a month ago....nothing. The coward working there won't answer my e-mails either.:thumbsup: