Sign in to follow this  

08 starting problems

I have an 08 450 with around 30 hours on it. It has a rekluse clutch, IMS tank and a few other mods but is mostly stock. The bike doesn't like to start when cold and I actually couldnt start it for almost 45 minutes until I put a heater next to the motor for a little while, and it still took around 5 minutes of kicking to get it fired. It was around 40 degrees outside. Once warmed up the bike runs great and is easy to start. Any similar problems or solutions?

Have you checked your valve lash? Out of spec can cause hard starting.

I checked them last week and everything was in spec, plus when the bike is warm it starts first or second kick??

Do you use the choke ? Did you try turning up your idle speed, that helped with mine.

yes choke is on, & the idle is set high, could this be mapping problem?

Do you prekick it lightly several times (this energizes the fuel pump & pressure) and then bring it to TDC compression? Then kick it as hard as you can. On a cold day mine unusually fires up after about 3 tries of the above procedure.

Do you prekick it lightly several times (this energizes the fuel pump & pressure) and then bring it to TDC compression? Then kick it as hard as you can. On a cold day mine unusually fires up after about 3 tries of the above procedure.

Ditto on mine 4-5 pre kicks and a good kick.Repeat 3-5 times on cold day.

Tried pre kicking a number to times and it still won't start. I re-checked the valves and the left intake clearance is .003, spec is .005 to .006, so I ordered a shim kit. Hopefully it will want to start more easily with this back to specs

It's not so much a hard kick from TDC, but rather a strong, fluid kick all the way to the bottom of the stroke.

I had the same problem when cold, I would kick the chit out of it and it still wouldn't start, granted it doesn't get to 40 degrees here in SoCal, low 50's maybe.

First I give the bike a few quick kicks to charge the fuel pump. Then I turn the idle screw up a few turns (3-5) and pull the choke out and give it a strong, steady kick to the bottom and hold the kick for a second at the bottom. After a few kicks I can hear the engine turn over a few rotations, like it's about to fire. I then immediately push in the choke and give it another long steady kick to the bottom, I'll blip the throttle when I hear the engine start to fire.

After maybe 3-5 kicks after this ritual, the bike starts. I find cracking the throttle at the end of the kick helps alot in getting things started.

-Alex

I dont worry about the so called choke anymore, I use the so called hot start lever which is a fast start lever. I pull it in and go thru the starting routine as it increases fast idle more then the choke and then I dont have to fiddle around under the tank. Ervin

I dont worry about the so called choke anymore, I use the so called hot start lever which is a fast start lever. I pull it in and go thru the starting routine as it increases fast idle more then the choke and then I dont have to fiddle around under the tank. Ervin

I heard that that works good to Im going too try that this weekend.

got the shim kit in today and switched it out so everything is back to what it should be and the thing fired up in about 15 kicks.

Thanks for all the tips, looks like the clearance is really important for starting the bike

It was my understanding that the hot start lever let cold air in to help start a hot engine.

Why would you want more cold air in the mix when the engine is cold??

-Alex

It was my understanding that the hot start lever let cold air in to help start a hot engine.

Why would you want more cold air in the mix when the engine is cold??

-Alex

They both do the same thing and that is let more air in for a fast idle, but on a cold engine the ECU knows it"s cold out and adds more fuel on top of the additional air. I like to use the knob for cold start, because I leave it idling high for about 30 seconds after start up.

I was able to ride my new 08 for the first time yesterday. Like most of the responses here it was a bear to start cold. (50 F) It would try to start, run for a second or two and die. After 10 plus attempts it finally stayed running.

My surprise was that after it warmed up a few minutes I pushed in the fast idle knob and the rpm drop was not that much. Not the kind of fast idle that I am use to on a carburated bike with the choke on. Is this normal? It does seem that using the "hot start" lever on the handle bars increases the idle to a higher rpm.